27/09/2013

Carrick's 'Killer Clown' Turns Himself In

A mystery clown has turned himself in to police after an alarm was raised by parents in Co Antrim.

On Thursday, police issued an alert after they received reports of two men acting suspiciously near two secondary schools in the Carrickfergus area.

Shortly before 2pm, the two men were said to have approached the playground area, and one of the men was dressed in a clown's costume. He appeared to pose for a photograph with the playground as a backdrop.

The incident is just one of many the police said they had been made aware of.

Photographs have been appearing on social media websites of a clown and his balaclava-wearing sidekick.

Since the alarm was raised however, police have now said the mysterious clown has turned himself in.

In a post on the PSNI Newtownabbey and Carrickfergus Facebook page, a police spokesperson said: "I have personally spoken to the gentleman involved in this matter as he has kindly come forward to explain what was happening. He assures me that this was a prank and it was not his intention in any way to frightened the school pupils or cause distress.

"He fully appreciates the sensitivities of schools and photographs etc in the area of any school. He wishes to apologies to anyone he has caused distress to. He fully appreciates what the police had to do in these circumstances. I have updated the concerned parents."

The appeal by police caused a backlash on the social media site with many arguing that the authorities were coming down on fun.

However, the spokesperson added: "Fun is fun but frightening school pupils is another."

A post on the Carrick Killerclowns' Facebook page read: "Due to the mixed response to the school pictures they have been removed - this whole thing is supposed to be a laugh and some parents find this distasteful and unfunny."

The duo later posted a picture of them standing outside the police station in Carrickfergus.

(JP/CD)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

20 March 2020
Three Arrests As £300k Drugs Seized
Police say they have removed drugs worth over £300,000 from the streets of west Belfast. Three men, aged 33, 37 and 43 were arrested and a car was seized along with a further quantity of suspected class A and C drugs, cash and drug paraphernalia.
23 March 2020
Man Due In Court Over Co Down Burglary
Police have charged a 26 year-old man in connection with an aggravated burglary in Bangor, Co Down. A house in the Gray's Hill area was targeted on Saturday 11 January. The suspect is charged with aggravated burglary with intent to steal. He is due before Downpatrick Magistrates Court on Monday 23 March.
02 April 2002
Trimble praises work of Northern Ireland Police Fund
Northern Ireland First Minister David Trimble has paid a visit to the offices of the Northern Ireland Police Fund which was set up to provide support for disabled police officers as well as for the families of murdered police officers.
12 March 2020
Other News In Brief
Wind Warning In Place Across NI A yellow warning for wind is in place across Northern Ireland. Blustery winds have battered the region throughout the day, Thursday 12 March, sparking a Met Office alert. Continuing until 5pm this evening, the public are advised of possible power outages and delays to road, rail, air and ferry transport.
15 May 2015
Man's Body Recovered From Bangor Marina
Police have launched an investigation after the body of a man was recovered from Bangor Marina on Wednesday, 13 May. Police received a report that a man had entered the water shortly after 10.15am. Emergency services and police attended the scene and the body was recovered from the water. Police are not treating the death as suspicious.