04/06/2003

Ken Barrett refused bail on Finucane murder charge

A leading loyalist accused of murdering solicitor Pat Finucane has been refused bail.

Ken Barrett, 40, appeared before the High Court in Belfast today charged with killing the Catholic solicitor at his home 14 years ago.

Mr Barrett, who was remanded in custody until June 27, has denied the charges put to him. These included two counts of attempted murder from 1991, stealing weapons from an Army base a few years earlier and another relating to membership of illegal loyalist paramilitary organisations, namely the UDA and UFF.

He was arrested in England last week and flown back to Northern Ireland for questioning by the Stevens Inquiry team who are investigating allegations of collusion between security forces and loyalist paramilitary groups.

(MB)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

29 November 2021
Justice Minister Launches Campaign Against Illegal Money Lenders
Paramilitary gangs must not be allowed to use illegal money lending to target the most vulnerable members of our communities, Justice Minister Naomi Long has said.
13 January 2022
Other News In Brief
SDLP Raises Concerns Over Impact On Universities Of EU Funding Loss Students must become "collateral damage of the Brexit shambles", SDLP Economy Spokesperson Matthew O'Toole has said after it emerged that the Department for the Economy (DfE) faces a loss of £100m in EU funding.
07 January 2022
SDLP Raise Concerns Over Prevalence Of Knife Crime
The SDLP has raised concerns over the prevalence of knife crime in Northern Ireland. Policing Board member Dolores Kelly has written to Justice Minister Naomi Long to ask what steps are being taken to address the issue.
18 March 2020
Call For Police Support Over Comber Murder Bid
An Alliance MLA has issued a call for support for the police following a shooting in Comber. The gun attack on Sunday night, 15 March, is being treated as attempted murder. A man in his 50s had driven into a yard in the Ballycreely Road area of the town when a masked man armed with a suspected handgun emerged from a hedge.
13 September 2004
Former RUC informer pleads guilty to Finucane murder
The man accused of murdering Belfast solicitor Pat Finucane more than 15 years ago has pleaded guilty to the charge. Ken Barrett, 41, made his guilty plea during the opening day trial of Mr Finucane's death at Belfast Crown Court on Monday.