13/09/2004

Former RUC informer pleads guilty to Finucane murder

The man accused of murdering Belfast solicitor Pat Finucane more than 15 years ago has pleaded guilty to the charge.

Ken Barrett, 41, made his guilty plea during the opening day trial of Mr Finucane's death at Belfast Crown Court on Monday.

Mr Barrett, who had previously denied shooting the Belfast solicitor at his home in north Belfast in February 1989, also admitted a charge of attempting to murder Mrs Finucane, stealing Army-owned weapons and membership of the Ulster Freedom Fighters during Monday's hearing.

Following today's news, Sinn Féin President Gerry Adams called on the government to launch a full independent inquiry into Mr Finucane's death.

"Given the Finucane family's experience of the criminal justice and policing systems over the past 15 years they have always been convinced that this would be the only avenue to get to the truth," the West Belfast MP said.

"Sinn Féin will continue to support the Finucane family and the other families of those murdered by the British State through its policy of state sanctioned murder in their search for the truth.”

Mr Finucane's widow Geraldine is currently challenging the government's decision to delay a public inquiry which was recommended by retired Canadian judge Peter Cory earlier this year.

Mr Cory was appointed by the British and Irish governments in 2001 to examine allegations of collusion surrounding some of the most controversial killings of the Troubles in Northern Ireland including the Finucane case.

(MB/GMCG)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

23 February 2004
Finucane family press Stevens on murder inquiry progress
The family of murdered Belfast solicitor Pat Finucane have met with Metropolitan Police commissioner Sir John Stevens to discuss the progress of the investigation into his murder.
17 July 2019
No Meetings Took Place Between Police & UVF
A senior PSNI officer has dismissed claims of formal meetings with the Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF) during a bonfire dispute in east Belfast. Assistant Chief Constable Alan Todd issued a statement in response to allegations that police engaged with a man known to be a UVF leader in the run up to the loyalist celebrations last week.
11 October 2011
Finucane Family Await Inquiry Decision
The family of murdered Belfast solicitor Pat Finucane have called for 'transparency' should an inquiry be launched into his death. "The British Government must be fully transparent if they choose to launch an inquiry into my father’s murder," said John Finucane.
17 October 2011
Finucanes' Inquiry Campaign Moves To Dublin
The Finucane family has announced that they will continue their campaign to get an independent inquiry into the murder of solicitor Pat Finucane, this time with Irish government support and despite the British government saying they could only offer a review.
13 January 2012
Finucane Family Win Right To Judicial Review
The family of murdered solicitor Pat Finucane has won the right for a judicial review into the government’s decision not to launch a public inquiry into his death. Mr. Finucane, a Catholic solicitor, was shot dead by loyalists while eating his Sunday dinner in his North Belfast home in 1989.