28/03/2014

Audit Committee Reach Agreement With Comptroller & Auditor General

The Audit Committee and the Comptroller & Auditor General have agreed a memorandum of understanding on corporate governance arrangements, transparency and accountability at the Northern Ireland Audit Office (NIAO).

It is understood that the memorandum builds on the existing governance and transparency arrangements in the NIAO, recognising that while the Comptroller & Auditor General and the NIAO are independent of government, they should maintain systems of governance and internal controls consistent with best practice.

It also underlines that, where appropriate, they should be accountable and subject to Assembly oversight.

Audit Committee Chairperson, Danny Kinahan MLA, said: "The Committee is pleased to agree this Memorandum which underlines the importance of transparency and the need to ensure the effective management of public funds.

"We believe that, crucially, this agreement will provide the Assembly and the general public with increased confidence in the governance and accountability of the NIAO."

The Comptroller and Auditor General, Mr Kieran Donnelly, said: "The NIAO is committed to adhering to the highest standards of corporate governance and accountability. This new Memorandum with the Assembly's Audit Committee underpins our commitment to openness and to promoting and securing value for money in our use of public funds."

(MH/JP)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

08 March 2016
Police Fail To Meet 50% Of Performance Targets
Police did not meet more than half of their performance targets last year, according to a report from the Audit Office. Overall, the PSNI achieved 48% of measures with the remaining 52% not achieved. Auditor General Kieran Donnelly said there is still room for further improvement.
20 June 2003
Minister welcomes GPs' acceptance of pay deal
Health Minister Angela Smith has welcomed the outcome of a nationwide ballot in which UK GP's voted to accept a new NHS contract. In a ballot of general practitioners throughout the UK, 79.
24 February 2014
Dublin Heart Surgeons In Belfast Pending Cardiac Assessment Findings
Heart surgeons from Dublin are in Belfast on a temporary agreement to carry out operations, as the future of children's cardiac services is still undecided.
10 January 2011
NI Water Probe Pair Named
The Stormont First Minister and Deputy First Minister have appointed two people in relation to the investigation into the handling by NI Water of the recent major interruption of water supplies.
23 May 2005
Health trust promises to restore public confidence
Management at a troubled health trust have said they are determined to restore public confidence in their services following a damning report by an NHS review team.