Man Arrested In Connection With Omagh Bombing

A man has been arrested in connection with the 1998 Omagh bombing.

Police arrested the man in Newry area, and say he is being held and questioned in Antrim.

Twenty-nine people were killed in the Real IRA attack of 15 August 1998.

The bombing has been described as the single worst atrocity in over 30 years of violence.


Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

07 February 2005
Man arrested in connection with Omagh bombing
A man has been arrested by Garda in Dundalk in connection with the 1998 Omagh bomb atrocity. The 34-year-old man, believed to be from the Dundalk area of Co Louth, was arrested in Newry in the early hours of Monday, and is being held in connection with “serious terrorist offences”.
18 August 2005
Irish man arrested in connection with army base bombing
An Irish man has been arrested in Spain in connection with an IRA bomb attack at a British Army base in Germany 16 years ago. Leonard Hardy, 44, was arrested at a hotel in the resort of Torremolinos by Spanish police acting on a warrant issued by the authorities in Germany.
09 April 2003
Real IRA gang sentenced to 100 years in jail
Five men have been jailed for a total of 100 years for planning and subsequently launching a Real IRA bombing campaign in England.
22 July 2002
Man charged with causing mainland explosions
A 19-year-old man has been charged with plotting to cause explosions following an investigation into a suspected Real IRA bombing campaign. John Paul Gerard Hannan was been remanded in custody after appearing at the Old Bailey today. He is charged with plotting to cause an explosion and possessing weapons.
28 August 2001
Bomb alert causes chaos at Ballycastle Fair
A bomb with a timing unit, detonator and two cylinders of flammable liquid has been defused by Army Technical Officers in Ballycastle. The bomb had been abandoned in a white Ford Sierra in Castle Street. The car is believed to have been left at the scene in the early hours of Tuesday morning. The Castle Street area has now been re-opened.