31/07/2015

Police Continue Investigation In Paul McCauley Murder

Police investigating the murder of Paul McCauley are conducting a leaflet drop in parts of L'Derry today.

Uniformed officers are distributing leaflets to properties in the Fountain estate and in the Irish Street area, close to the scene of the attack in 2006.

The officer leading the investigation, Detective Chief Inspector Michael Harvey from Serious Crime Branch, said: "Our enquiries into Paul's murder are progressing with a focussed momentum. A total of six people have been arrested since Paul died last month. One man has been charged with murder; another will be reported to the Public Prosecution Service; the other four individuals have been released on police bail pending further enquiries.
News Image
"Today's leaflet drop is part of our renewed attempts to reach out to those individuals who we believe have information about the attack on Paul and his friends and those involved. Detectives are available to speak with anyone who decides they want to talk to us."

Mr McCauley (38) died last month in a care facility almost nine years after an attack in July 2006. He was attending a summer BBQ at the rear of a house in Chapel Road on 15 July 2006. At 3.20am on 16 July, only three people remained at the BBQ. A group of up to 15 people came from out of the bushes and attacked Paul and two of his friends. After the assault the group made off in the direction of Irish Street.

Anyone with information is asked to contact detectives at Maydown police station on the non-emergency 101 number or use the independent Crimestoppers number 0800 555 111 if they do not want to provide their details.

(MH/LM)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

12 March 2020
£40k Cannabis Seized In Paramilitary Probe
A man has been arrested and cannabis worth £40,000 seized after two parcels destined for an address in Northern Ireland were intercepted. Detectives from the Paramilitary Crime Task Force made the arrest amid a probe into the activities of the east Belfast UVF.
20 March 2020
Shots Fired At Houses In Co Antrim
Police have said it is by "sheer luck" that no one was injured when shots were fired at two properties in Co Antrim last night. A lone gunman targeted the houses in Rasharkin's Moneyleck Park at around 9.50pm on Thursday night, 19 March.
10 March 2020
Man Escapes Injury In Co Antrim Shooting
A man aged in his 40s has escaped injury after a shot was fired at his Co Antrim home. Police are appealing for information following the incident in the Orkney Drive area of Ballymena early on Monday morning, 09 March. A shot was fired at the house shortly after midnight, causing damage to a front window.
18 March 2020
Call For Police Support Over Comber Murder Bid
An Alliance MLA has issued a call for support for the police following a shooting in Comber. The gun attack on Sunday night, 15 March, is being treated as attempted murder. A man in his 50s had driven into a yard in the Ballycreely Road area of the town when a masked man armed with a suspected handgun emerged from a hedge.
12 March 2020
NI Covid-19 Total Rises By Two
Two further people have tested positive for coronavirus in Northern Ireland, the Department of Health has revealed. Both cases are adults and are declared as secondary transmissions. One of the individuals had recently travelled from northern Italy, while the other has been linked to a previously reported patient who travelled to the region.