29/09/2016

Police Officers Disciplined For The Way They Dealt With Two Teenagers

Three police officers have been disciplined for the way they dealt with two teenagers during a stop and search in Ballyclare, Co Antrim, in March this year.

The boys lodged a complaint with the Police Ombudsman's Office, alleging that police had no justifiable reason for conducting a stop and search and had treated them oppressively.

One of the boys also questioned whether it had been appropriate to use security legislation to stop him and obtain his details.

A Police Ombudsman investigator seized and examined the notebooks of the officers involved, and other police documentation including stop and search records and command and control logs.

Mobile phone video footage supplied by one of the boys was also examined.

When interviewed, the officers involved said they stopped the boys as they had been "acting suspiciously". They said that when they drove past the boys had hidden their faces by putting up their hoods and turning their heads.

They recalled they had asked the boys why they had hidden their faces, but none of the officers could remember their responses, and no record had been kept in any police documentation.

Enquiries also showed that there had been no reports or intelligence of any thefts, burglaries or criminal damage in the area.

The investigator concluded that he was not satisfied that the search of one of the boys, who had been stopped and searched under the Police and Criminal Evidence Order, had been necessary.

He noted that the legislation required an officer to have "a reasonable suspicion" based on the circumstances and the likelihood of finding a prohibited article.

"None could remember what response the boys gave when asked why they hid their faces, which would have been a key factor in deciding whether a search was justified," he said.

The other boy was stopped and asked for his details under the Justice and Security Act. Police guidance states that such powers must only be used when justified and, wherever possible, less intrusive powers should be used.

"Given the circumstances, I am not satisfied that this power has been used appropriately," the Police Ombudsman investigator concluded.

He also considered the video footage recorded by one of the boys contained evidence of an officer acting aggressively towards the boy. It showed the officer bearing over the boy while refusing to respond when asked for a reason for the search.

Examination of records of the search completed by the officers also showed discrepancies. The time for the incident was found to differ by up to an hour and 10 minutes in different records, while in one record the incident was incorrectly recorded as having happened at one of the boy’s home addresses.

(CD/MH)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

16 July 2024
Police Vehicles And Cars Damaged During Disorder In South Belfast
Police vehicles and cars belonging to members of the public have been damaged following disorder in south Belfast on Monday night, 15 July. No police officers were injured during the incident in the Broadway Roundabout area.
23 June 2016
Police Officers Disciplined For Failing To Tell Doctor About Woman's Head Injuries
Two police officers have been disciplined after they failed to let their colleagues and a police doctor know that a woman had sustained a head injury, a Police Ombudsman investigation has concluded. The woman died from bleeding to the brain on 24 February 2014, the day after she suffered the injury.
10 September 2001
Man arrested as police search for missing boys
A man has been arrested on suspicion of murder following a police investigation into the disappearance of two schoolboys which took place more than 27 years ago. A 69-year-old man was arrested on Monday morning as detectives continued their search of houses in Rodney Drive in west Belfast.
23 November 2022
Former Kincora Boys' Home Being Demolished
The former Kincora Boys' Home in east Belfast will be demolished today, Wednesday 23 November. The Home on the Newtownards Road was the site of the abuse of at least 29 young boys between its opening in 1958 and its closure in 1980.
14 September 2001
Rodney Drive dig ends with no finds
Police have called off excavations at two houses in west Belfast that were part of a police investigation into the disappearance of two boys 27 years ago. Detectives said on Friday that nothing had been found at the houses at Rodney Drive in the Falls Road area.