Car Catches Fire On A1

A car caught fire on the A1 on Monday, 11 December, after the driver left a blanket on the engine.

The driver forgot to remove the blanket after placing it on the engine overnight.

PSNI Road Policing officers attended the scene and there were no reports of any injuries.
News Image
A PSNI spokesperson said: "Thankfully nobody was hurt although the driver was more than a little embarrassed for the trouble caused. Please make sure your vehicle is safe to be driven before setting out on your journey."


Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

21 January 2020
Firefighters Tackle Belfast Blaze
Firefighters have spent the night tackling a large blaze in south Belfast. A building on University Road was reported to be on fire shortly after 1am this morning, Tuesday 21.
21 January 2020
NIFRS Renews Smoke Alarm Plea
Home owners are being reminded of the need to have a working smoke alarm following two fatal house fires in December. The NIFRS emphasised the need to prioritise fire safety in the home after two accidental blazes occured at premises without working smoke alarms.
12 January 2012
Residents Evacuated From Highrise Following Fire
Residents have been rescued from a high-rise block of flats after a fire broke out in the housing complex in Newtownabbey. It is understood that fourteen floors had to be evacuated in the early hours of the morning after a blaze at the Woodland flats at Whitehouse.
19 November 2018
PSNI Seek Driver After Speeding Car Hits A1 Barrier
Police are appealing for information to help trace the driver of a car which smashed into a barrier after travelling at speeds of up to 100mph. Officers said that on Thursday 15 November at approximately 11am the Audi A3 was seen speeding along the A1 carriageway.
24 September 2014
Shots Fired In North Belfast
Police have confirmed they are looking into a report that shots were fired in north Belfast on Tuesday night. It is thought a delivery driver heard a number of shots being fired in the Carlisle Road area at around 10pm. The man, said to be in his 30s, was not injured, but has been left badly shaken by the incident.