04/06/2018

Two People Lose £39,000 In Scam

Fraudsters have conned two people out of £39,000 over the weekend.

The victims lost £25,000 and £14,000 after they were phoned by fraudsters who said they were from computer broadband and search engine providers.

The caller said their online accounts had been hacked and there was a problem with their wireless router or broadband speed.
News Image
The victims gave their personal details and the fraudster was able to access their online bank accounts.

PSNI Superintendent Simon Walls said: "If you are at all suspicious about a call that you receive, hang up and phone the organisation that the person is purporting to represent to check their authenticity.

"Ideally make the call from another telephone so you can be sure the original caller has not remained on the line. Never be pressured into a transaction over the phone."

(CD/LM)


Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

17 June 2019
NI Majority Not Prejudiced Towards Transgender People
Over 70% of people in Northern Ireland have described themselves as not prejudiced towards the transgender community, a research study has revealed.
17 November 2017
Victims' Charity Reports Rise In Sexual Violence Referrals
A charity which provides support for victims of sexual violence has seen a 21% rise in referrals for its specialist counselling service in the last three months. Nexus NI said the increase occurred in the wake of the Harvey Weinstein case.
13 June 2016
NI Businesses Lose Over £2m Following Online Crime
Firms in Northern Ireland lost over £2 million following online crime last year, according to new figures. Figures from Get Safe Online and Action Fraud show 247 cases were reported with total losses amounting to £2,152,343 between March 2015 and March 2016. However, police believe the overall losses could be higher.
12 November 2018
Parents Urged To Vigilantly Monitor Children's Internet Use
Parents are being urged to monitor their children's use of the internet with extra vigilance after the discovery of malicious Instagram accounts. Sinn Fein MLA Catherine Kelly warned of the fake and potentially dangerous social media profiles that are circulating in the Omagh area.
16 April 2018
DUP MLA Hits Out At Trolls Over Online Abuse
DUP MLA Carla Lockhart has hit out at online trolls after being attacked on social media. The Upper Bann politician said abusive comments were aimed at her and party leader Arlene Foster after uploading a photograph to Twitter of the pair at a DUP event in Fermanagh on Friday, 13 April.