15/11/2018

Other News In Brief

13-Year-Old Suffers Broken Leg In Vicious Assault

Police have said a 13-year-old boy suffered a broken leg in a "vicious assault" at an east Belfast play park.

Details have emerged about the incident that happened nearly three weeks ago, in the Bloomfield Park area on Saturday 27 October.

Police are currently investigating and have released descriptions of three suspects.

PSNI Constable Glen Taylor said: "Three males are believed to be involved in this assault.

"Two of them are described as being approximately 5'9" in height, dressed in all black, with their hoods up.

"The third male is also described as being approximately 5'9", dressed in all black, with short blond hair."

Constable Taylor added: "This is a despicable attack on a young boy which has left him with substantial injuries to his leg.

"We are appealing to anyone with information to contact police in Musgrave on the non-emergency number 101."

Lisburn Man Tied Up And Attacked By Burglars

A man has been assaulted and tied up by burglars while they ransacked his Lisburn home.

The incident took place on the Beanstown Road around 11.30 am on Wednesday 14 November.

Police said the victim, who is in his 50's, was forced to lie face down on his floor throughout the ordeal.
News Image
The van used in the crime was later recovered in the Waringstown area, where a further attempted burglary was also reported.

PSNI Detective Sergeant Melanie McGrory said: "It was reported that a number of men in a white van drew up outside a property around 11.30am and approached the householder, who came out of the house when he saw them arrive.

"He was then assaulted by one of the men outside the house before having his wrists and ankles bound with cable ties."

DS McGrory added that while not being injured, the victim was left shaken.

It is so far unclear what was taken during the burglary, but anyone with information or who witnessed any suspicious activity is asked to contact police.

Arrest Following Discovery Of Explosive Device In County Antrim

A 36-year-old man has been arrested in connection with an incident in County Antrim when specialist army officers were called in to stabilise an explosive device.

It follows a discovery in Broughshane shortly after 10pm on Wednesday 14 November, after reports of an attempt to set a car alight in the Woodland Park area.

Police confirmed the man was arrested on suspicion of possessing an explosive device with intent to endanger property, attempted arson endangering life and criminal damage.

The man remains in custody, and police are appealing to anyone who was in the area around the time of the arrest to contact them on non-emergency line 101.



(JG/MH)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

19 February 2019
Other News In Brief
Lord Mayor Opens New Davitt Park Facilities Belfast Lord Mayor, Councillor Deirdre Hargey, has officially opened a range of new community sports and recreation facilities at Davitt Park, St. Mary's Gardens. The project was funded by £1.15 million from the council's Belfast Investment Fund and Schools Enhancement Fund.
07 February 2019
Ian Ogle Investigation: Man Arrested At Heathrow
Police investigating the brutal murder of east Belfast community worker Ian Ogle have arrested a man on suspicion of murder. The 33-year-old was detained at Heathrow Airport on Wednesday evening, 06 February, before being transferred to Musgrave Police Station in Belfast.
05 July 2007
Arrest after Tyrone sexual assault
Detectives investigating the rape of a 16-year-old girl in County Tyrone have arrested a man. The teenager had travelled by bus to attend a nightclub in Strabane on the evening of June 16. The attack is believed to have happened some time between getting off the bus and before she reached the nightclub.
03 July 2007
Man questioned about 1988 murder
A man has been arrested in connection with police inquiries into a murder in 1988. The body of Lily Smyth, 66, was found in her flat at Moveen House in Dunmurry on October 9, 1988. The pensioner had been strangled. A police spokesperson said that a 43-year-old man had been arrested and is being questioned at Antrim Police Station.
08 October 2014
Police Cancel Appeal For Missing Omagh Man
Police have said they believe missing Omagh man, Shane Sharkey, has been found in the Republic of Ireland. A police appeal for help in finding the 35-year-old has been cancelled, with police saying they now believe they know where he is. No further details have been released but police thanked the public for their help.