07/12/2018

Ex Sinn Fein MP Barry McElduff Stands For Council Election

Former Sinn Fein MP Barry McElduff has announced he will stand for the council elections in Omagh next summer.

It follows his resignation from his Westminster seat in January, following accusations that he mocked victims of the 1976 Kingsmill massacre.

Mr McElduff maintained at the time that the video he posted on social media, in which he had a loaf of Kingsmill bread on his head, was intended as a joke.

It was posted on the 42nd anniversary of the Kingsmill attack, in which 10 Protestant workmen were killed, sparking backlash against the Sinn Fein representative.

He consequently resigned, stating that keeping his job would have impeded efforts to forge reconciliation in Northern Ireland, but that he was not aware his post had coincided with the anniversary.

He issued an apology, but the sole survivor of the attack said he would not accept it.
News Image
In a post on Thursday 07 December, Mr McElduff announced he would be running for a seat on Fermanagh and Omagh District Council next May.

Sinn Fein also released a statement, in which he said: "I am honoured to be selected for Ard Comhairle ratification to contest the upcoming Council election for Sinn Fein in Omagh, a town that I have a great affinity for and have been proud to represent in the past.

"We currently have one very hard working representative and community champion in Omagh, Councillor Martin McColgan, and it's our determination to maximise our potential by winning three seats in the next election.

"Councillor Anne Marie Fitzgerald will also be making the move from Mid Tyrone into Omagh, and as someone who already represents Killyclogher, has previously lived there and has strong family and professional connections to the town, it will be a natural transition. 

"For my own part, I have been proud to serve people across west Tyrone over the past 20 years and I look forward to the campaign ahead and to be part of a dynamic team that will return the maximum amount of Sinn Fein Councillors."



(JG)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

20 May 2019
Other News In Brief
Appeal After Pipe-Bomb Discovered In Banbridge Police are appealing for information following the discovery of a viable pipe-bomb in Banbridge on Saturday morning, 18 May. A security alert was sparked after reports of a suspicious object outside an address in Hawthorne Hill at around 1.15am.
09 May 2019
Arts Council Chief Executive Settles Age Discrimination Case For £12k
The Arts Council of Northern Ireland has settled an age discrimination and victimisation case with its Chief Executive Roisin McDonough for £12,000. Ms McDonough brought the case, with the support of the Equality Commission for Northern Ireland (ECNI), after speculation about her retirement plans became apparent.
08 May 2019
Other News In Brief
Pipes & Drums To Take Off At Newtownards Airport The Ards And North Down Pipe Band & Drum Major Championships is set to take place this Sunday, 11 May at Newtownards Airport. A superb family day out, the world's best best pipe bands will compete together, with over 1,000 musicians competing.
07 May 2019
Talks Begin To Restore Power-Sharing At Stormont
Political leaders from Northern Ireland's five main parties have met at Stormont today to begin talks to restore power-sharing. These new talks aim to break the impasse at Stormont, which saw the executive collapse in January 2017.
03 May 2019
Counting Underway In Local Council Elections
The counting process has begun in Northern Ireland's council elections. Ballot boxes were opened in 11 count centres across the region at 8am this morning, Friday 03 May, commencing the two-day count. The 1,463 polling stations closed their doors at 10pm last night, sealing the fate of the 819 candidates fighting for 462 seats.