11/06/2019

Sinn Féin Welcomes Progress On Legacy Inquest

Sinn Féin have welcomed news that progress towards holding legacy inquests has taken a step forward for families seeking truth and justice.

The party's legacy spokesperson, MLA Linda Dillon, was commenting after families received notification that Justice Keegan will hold a listing in September to set out a timeline to begin legacy inquests.
News Image
Linda Dillon said: "This is a welcome step forward for all families seeking the truth of what happened to their loved ones during the conflict.

"Families have been waiting far too long - many up to 50 years - for the basic right to a coroners inquest and are relieved to see movement on their journey to achieving the truth.

"We now need to see the full implementation and proper funding for the legacy mechanisms agreed at Stormont House in 2014.

"The British government must stop dragging its heels and bring forward the legislation that will allow grieving families to access due process."


Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

23 February 2018
DUP 'Unaware' Of Funding For Legacy Requests
Arlene Foster has claimed "no one in the DUP was aware" of funding for legacy requests. The DUP leader said it would be "astonishing" if the government granted funding. The statement came after DUP MP Jeffrey Donaldson told The View programme he was "unaware" of an alleged deal to release money for Troubles legacy inquests.
24 June 2019
Police Name Lisburn Murder Victim
Police have confirmed the identity of a man murdered in Lisburn on Friday 21 June. 50-year-old Paul Smyth was found in his living room in the Coulson Avenue area at around 8.45pm. Speaking on Sunday evening, investigating officers also confirmed that he had been shot.
01 March 2019
New Legacy Inquest System Launched To Speed Up Investigations
The Department of Justice has launched a £55 million initiative with a new Coroner investigation unit in a bid speed up legacy inquests and address all outstanding cases. It comes as some of the "most sensitive, complex and high profile deaths" during the Troubles are yet to be fully investigated, according to the department.
08 August 2013
Kingsmill Massacre Inquest Launched
A new inquest is to be launched into the Kingsmill massacre, in which 10 Protestant textile workers were killed by the IRA in 1976. The attack is now considered to be one of the worst atrocities carried out during the Troubles. It happened on 5 January 1976, when twelve workers were travelling home through County Armagh.
26 February 2018
Hundreds March To City Hall Calling For Action On Legacy Issues
Up to 1,000 people marched through Belfast city centre on Sunday 25 February, calling for political action to deal with Northern Ireland's legacy issues. It is understood that campaigners joined the 'Time for Truth' march from across the city to converge on City Hall, with many of the marchers carrying images of loved ones lost to violence.