16/11/2020

Two Men Arrested In Connection With Petrol Bomb Incident

Two men have been arrested in connection with an incident in Ballymena in the early hours on Sunday, 15 November.

Officers were in the Fisherwick Gardens area, shortly before 5am, when they became aware that a petrol bomb had been thrown inside a property. There were three male occupants inside the property at the time.

Fortunately, the occupants of the property managed to extinguish the petrol bomb and no one was injured.
News Image
Officers subsequently arrested two men, aged 26 and 28 years old, on suspicion of arson endangering life with intent, throwing petrol bomb, criminal damage and possessing a petrol bomb in suspicious circumstances. They both remain in custody this afternoon. 

Detective Inspector McKenna said: "This was a completely reckless attack which could have had serious consequences. 

"We are working to establish a motive for this attack and I'm appealing to anyone who may have been in the area and saw any suspicious activity around this time, or knows anything about this, to get in touch with us on 101, quoting  reference number 277 15/11/20."

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

27 July 2021
Convicted Sex Offender Hands Himself In To Police
A convicted sex offender who was unlawfully at large in England has handed himself in to Northern Ireland police. PSNI appealed for help in finding Fermanagh man James Taggart last week, reporting he was seen recently in the Essex area. The 27-year-old handed himself into a PSNI station yesterday, Monday 26 July.
23 July 2021
Convicted NI Sex Offender Unlawfully At Large In England
The search is continuing for a convicted sex offender who is unlawfully at large in England. NI man James Taggart is described as 5'7", slim build (around 63.5 kg), short light brown hair with receding hairline, short brown full beard, blue eyes and speaks with a Fermanagh accent.
23 July 2021
Appeal Issued For Missing Belfast Man Ciaran Dempsey
The PSNI have issued an appeal for help in tracing the whereabouts of Ciaran Dempsey. Police have said that they are becoming "increasingly concerned" for Mr Dempsey's welfare, who was last seen in the Broadway area of Belfast at about 2.30am on Friday 23 July.
04 April 2003
Houses damaged in separate petrol bomb attacks
Two houses have been attacked in separate petrol bomb attacks in Belfast and Downpatrick. In north Belfast, a device was thrown through a glass pane in the front door of a house on the Crumlin Road at around 11pm last night. In Downpatrick, a house in the Mount Crescent area suffered scorch damage in the early hours of Friday morning.
25 June 2013
Sinn Féin Condemns Petrol Bomb Attack
Sinn Féin Councillor Niall Ó Donnghaile has condemned a further petrol bomb attack in the Short Strand area. Police are investigating the incident, which saw four petrol bombs thrown at an east Belfast interface around 10.30pm on Monday night.