14/03/2024

Two Men Jailed For 'Horrific And Callous' Murder Of Roy Reynolds

Two men have been jailed at Belfast Crown Court in connection with the "horrific and callous" murder of Roy Reynolds in County Antrim in 2022.

Michael Campbell, 34, was handed a life sentence last December after pleading guilty to Mr Reynold's murder. At a hearing on Wednesday 13 March, Campbell was told he will serve a minimum of 21 years in prison. He was also sentenced for attempting to prevent the lawful and decent burial of Mr Reynolds. Both sentences will run concurrently.

Robert Mervyn Fulton, aged 70, having pleaded guilty to assisting an offender, was sentenced to two years and four months, half to be served in custody and half on licence.

Welcoming the sentencing, Detective Inspector Sean Armstrong said: "Following a call from a member of the public, police found a partially submerged and semi-naked body in a reservoir in Carrickfergus. This was on the morning of Monday 28 March 2022.

"The deceased was identified as Mr Roy Reynolds, and a post mortem examination confirmed he had sustained multiple injuries, including stab wounds. Distressingly, there were over 100 injuries to his body."

Detective Inspector Armstrong continued: "We know that Roy had been out walking in Rathcoole on the evening of Sunday 27 March, and had stopped to speak with Michael Campbell, before being invited into Campbell's home.

"In the early hours of Monday, police received a report of a body being dragged from Campbell's apartment and placed in the boot of a car.

"Police subsequently located and stopped the car in the Rathcoole area, where it was being driven by its owner Mervyn Fulton, with Michael Campbell as a passenger. The pair were heading back from the direction of the reservoir. Officers observed blood stains on the back bumper, inside the boot, and on Campbell's hands and clothing."

He added: "There's no comprehending, and certainly no justification for, this tragic event. Roy, who was aged 54, had his life taken in a horrific attack – a murder made even more disturbing by the callous way in which the two subsequently disposed of his body. This was the most brutal and senseless loss of a life.

"Today, working in partnership with the Public Prosecution Service and thanks to the support of members of the public, the two defendants have been held accountable.

"I know that Roy's loving family have understandably been left broken-hearted, and my thoughts, and that of our team, remain with them. Roy was a much-loved father and grandfather, a brother and an uncle. And, while no words can take away their pain, I'm keen to acknowledge the strength, dignity and patience they have shown throughout the criminal justice process."

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

18 July 2024
Man Charged With Conspiracy To Commit Murder
A man has been charged in connection with a shooting in a Banbridge car park in April of this year. The 46-year-old man who has been charged with conspiracy to commit murder is due to appear before Banbridge Magistrates' Court, sitting in Newry Courthouse, on Thursday 8 August.
04 July 2024
Woman Jailed For 14 Years For Murder Of Her Partner
A woman sentenced to life in prison for the murder of Tony Browne in west Belfast in 2022, has been told he will serve a minimum term of 14 years. In May, 35-year-old Wiktoria Maksymowicz pleaded guilty to murder aggravated by domestic abuse.
23 July 2024
Death Of Man In South Belfast Being Treated As Murder
The PSNI's Major Investigation Team have launched a murder investigation following the death of a man in south Belfast. Detective Inspector Jennifer Rea confirm that the body of a man located at a property in south Belfast on the evening of Saturday 20 July, was 34-year-old Kevin Davidson.
22 July 2024
Alliance Condemns Co Down Sword Attack
Alliance has condemned a sword attack that occurred at a house in the Ballaghbeg Park area of Newcastle, County Down, on Sunday morning. South Down MLA, Andrew McMurray, has called the behaviour of the individual responsible "completely unacceptable".
23 July 2024
Searches In Republic In Robbie Lawlor Murder Investigation
Search operation have been carried out in Dublin and Sligo today, Tuesday 23 July, as part of the ongoing investigation into the April 2020 murder of Robbie Lawlor. Working as part of the Joint Agency Task Force, searches of 12 premises were carried out by An Garda Síochána with support from the Police Service of Northern Ireland.