Four Men Sentenced Over 'Brutal' Attack And Kidnapping

The PSNI have welcomed the sentencing of four men in connection with a "brutal" attack and kidnapping in Ballymena in 2021.

The men – David Cherry, Glen Sheridan, Mark Bradshaw and Sean Davies – were sentenced at Belfast Crown Court

Cherry (41) was sentenced to 62 months having previously pleaded guilty to grievous bodily harm and kidnapping.

Sheridan (45), who had previously pleaded guilty to kidnapping, was handed a sentence of 57 months.

Bradshaw (53), who had also pleaded guilty to kidnapping, was sentenced to 67 months.

Davies (41), having pleaded guilty to arson, was sentenced to 28 months.

A fifth defendant, who had previously pleaded guilty to grievous bodily harm with intent and kidnapping is to be sentenced at a later date.

Welcoming the sentencing, Detective Inspector McCoy said: "The attack on the victim took place in a house in Ballymena on 11 October 2021, and is one of the most violent, sickening and sadistic attacks I have ever investigated.

"The victim was subjected to a prolonged assault. He was severely beaten, forced to strip down to his boxer shorts, and made to use his clothes to clean up his own blood.
News Image
"The victim was on the floor and unable to defend himself when he was stabbed in the chest with a knife, then slashed on both sides of the face. Throughout the nightmarish attack, the victim was kicked, while continually forced to wipe up the blood. Meanwhile, the defendants laughed.

Detective Inspector McCoy continued: "This man was then taken by car and dumped, like an object, in a field near Broughshane.

Later, the victim was found lying unconscious in the field and wearing only boxer shorts.

"The victim's car was subsequently found burnt-out on the edge of Ballymena."

Detective Inspector McCoy added: "The man remained in intensive care under sedation for a number of weeks. And the list of injuries sustained is both lengthy and distressing. They include a stab wound to his chest, fracture and detachment of the jaw, injuries to his face and roof of the mouth, and a fracture to the base of the skill. He has sustained permanent damage to facial nerves, permanent blocking of a main artery to the brain, and a permanent brain injury."

"Today, after a lengthy investigation, and with the support of colleagues in the Public Prosecution Service, the defendants have been held accountable for their actions.

"At the same time, I'm sadly mindful that this barbaric and senseless attack has left lasting scars, both emotional and physical. The victim, and indeed his family, have suffered unimaginably."

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

03 July 2024
Appeal Following Arson Attack In North Belfast
PSNI detectives have issued an appeal for information and witnesses following a report of a fire at a property in north Belfast on the evening of Tuesday 2nd July. At approximately 10.10pm police received a report that four masked men had broken a window and thrown a petrol bomb inside a flat in the Cliftonpark Avenue area.
11 July 2024
Antrim Woman Fined After Dog Kills And Injures Sheep
A woman from Antrim has been fined after her dog killed and injured several sheep. Antrim and Newtownabbey Borough Council has successfully brought charges against Mrs Primrose Spence from Antrim under the Dogs (Northern Ireland) Order 1983 (as amended).
22 July 2024
Alliance Condemns Co Down Sword Attack
Alliance has condemned a sword attack that occurred at a house in the Ballaghbeg Park area of Newcastle, County Down, on Sunday morning. South Down MLA, Andrew McMurray, has called the behaviour of the individual responsible "completely unacceptable".
12 February 2003
McGinley murderers sentenced to at least 15 years
The pair convicted of the murder of 34-year-old Fermanagh businessman Gerard McGinley have been sentenced to serve at least 15 years in prison at Belfast High Court today.
28 October 2011
Crucifix Killer Jailed For At Least 20 Years
Dublin pharmacist Karen Walsh has been jailed for a minimum of 20 years for murdering her neighbour Marie Rankin on Christmas Day in 2008. Walsh, 45, showed no emotion as Mr Justice Hart sentenced her at Belfast Crown Court for what he described as a sustained and brutal attack on an elderly, defenceless and frail woman.