20/06/2024

Belfast Man Sentenced After Assault On Two Men

A man from east Belfast has been sentenced to three years in jail after a "savage assault" on two men.

Mark McKechnie, aged 28, was sentenced yesterday, Wednesday 19 June, at Downpatrick Crown Court for grievous bodily harm, common assault and false imprisonment. McKechnie was convicted following an altercation at a house at Rogers Place on Wednesday 1 March 2023.

The PSNI has described the assault as "particularly savage". When officers arrived at the address they discovered a man who was bleeding heavily, had received several punches to his face and had been hit on the leg with a hatchet.
News Image
Detective Chief Inspector Brennan said: "In this sinister assault, McKechnie also threatened his victim, telling him he was going to cut his man’s toes off. Another man at the address also had extensive facial injuries including a badly swollen eye socket, bleeding and heavy bruising to his face. This outcome was a result of good work by initial responders and follow-up detective work, as well as the resilience shown by the injured party throughout the criminal justice process.

"I hope this sentencing sends out a clear message to anyone who thinks they can get away with this type of violent crime. We will work tirelessly to bring offenders before the courts so that that victims receive the justice they deserve.

"I would ask anyone is a victim of crime to contact police on the non-emergency number 101, or 999 in an emergency, or submit a report online here. You can also contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or online here.

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

09 October 2012
Man Sentenced Over Sexual Assault
A 63-year-old man who pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting a schoolgirl is to be sentenced on Friday. James Gallagher from St Columbs in L’Derry made his plea at Londonderry Crown Court after admitting touching a 15-ear-old schoolgirl in a sexual manner. The victim was drunk at the time.
18 September 2017
Man Injured In Paramilitary-Style Attack
A man has been injured in a paramilitary-style attack in west Belfast. The assault happened in the Norglen Parade area just after 9pm on sunday, 17 September. The victim, aged is his 30s, was shot in the hands and legs and is currently being treated in hospital. Police are appealing for anyone with information to contact them.
06 March 2019
Man Charged Over Vehicle Hijacking In L'Derry
Police investigating the hijacking of a vehicle in L'Derry have charged a man with a number of offences. The 26-year-old is accused of common assault, driving whilst unfit and using a motor vehicle without insurance, in relation to a hijacking in the city on Monday 04 March. He is due to appear at L'Derry Magistrates Court today, 06 March.
20 September 2018
Six Men Arrested Over Serious Sexual Assault
Six men have been arrested in connection with a serious sexual assault in south Belfast. The attack is believed to have happened in the early hours of Wednesday morning, 19 September. An investigation has launched and the suspects are helping the PSNI with their enquiries.
25 January 2016
'New IRA' Believed To Be Involved After Weapon Found In Co Tyrone
Police believe the 'new IRA' was involved after a suspected Armalite-type assault rifle was recovered in Strabane, Co Tyrone, on Friday. Superintendent Mark McEwan, the Derry City & Strabane District Commander said he believed the weapon, with ammunition, had been intended to be used to attcked police officers.