19/06/2026

Benn Unveils £4m For PSNI After Northern Ireland Disorder

The UK Government has announced a £4 million emergency package to support the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) after last week’s public disorder and racially motivated violence.

The disturbances followed a knife attack in North Belfast and caused significant fear, alarm and disruption across communities. Ethnic minority households were subsequently targeted in racist attacks.

The funding will help meet costs incurred by the PSNI during the disorder, including Mutual Aid support and overtime for officers deployed to protect the public.

The Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, Hilary Benn, is in the region today to meet police and other emergency responders, as well as community groups, volunteers and youth organisations involved in the response to the unrest.
News Image
Ahead of meetings in Northern Ireland, the Secretary of State, Hilary Benn, said: "The horrific knife attack in North Belfast last week understandably caused profound concern and anger across Northern Ireland, and the rest of the UK. But we must be clear that the shocking scenes of racist violence that the world witnessed on our streets was not only unacceptable, but utterly shameful.

"The masked thugs who took part do not represent the vast majority of people across Northern Ireland who have worked long and hard to build a shared, peaceful future for all.

"There is no excuse and no justification for this violence, and those responsible will continue to face the full force of the law

"Our most important duty as Government is to keep the public safe. This £4 million package demonstrates our commitment to supporting the PSNI given the significant challenges they faced in confronting the disorder in order to protect the community."

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

16 June 2025
PSNI Welcomes Reduction In Disorder Across Northern Ireland
The PSNI has expressed cautious optimism over a reduction in the level of disorder observed across the province over the past six days. Assistant Chief Constable Melanie Jones confirmed that an intensified police presence and ongoing community engagement contributed to a much calmer situation last night compared to previous days.
07 August 2024
Hilary Benn Calls For End Of 'Senseless Violence And Intimidation'
Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, Hilary Benn, has expressed his support for the PSNI for their continued hard work amid ongoing disorder in Belfast. The Secretary said: "I remain in contact with the First Minister and deputy First Minister, Justice Minister and the Chief Constable, and will continue to offer them my full support.
19 March 2026
Easy Trips from Northern Ireland to the Republic of Ireland
Let’s be honest, we are spoiled for choice when it comes to a quick getaway.  Living in Northern Ireland means that a proper change of scenery is never more than a couple of hours away, and heading down south for a few days has become the default setting for a stress-free break.
29 May 2012
Access To Republic Of Ireland Digital TV Channels Confirmed For Northern Ireland
TV viewers in Northern Ireland will be able to watch TG4 and RTÉ One and Two on Freeview following digital TV switchover, the UK Government confirmed today.
02 July 2026
PSNI Unveils ‘Safer Summer Together’ Campaign Across Northern Ireland
The Police Service of Northern Ireland has launched its 2026 Safer Summer Together campaign on Wednesday 1 July, encouraging the public to make the most of the warmer months while staying alert to potential risks.