03/05/2005

Orde condemns marathon bomb alert

PSNI Chief Constable Hugh Orde has condemned those responsible for Monday’s security alert which caused a slight disruption to the annual Belfast City Marathon.

A device, which is understood to have been viable, was made safe by army technical officers after being placed at Gideon’s Corner in Newtownabbey near the 12 mile crossover point.

Mr Orde condemned the attack saying it was “reckless and cowardly”.

“The Belfast City Marathon is an impressive cross community event, which attracts participants and spectators from across Northern Ireland and further field, with those involved raising funds for many community organisations and charities,” Mr Orde said.

An NIO spokesperson also hit out at those behind the device describing them as "stupid and reckless"

"Those responsible for leaving this device were evidently prepared to maim or kill indiscriminately and are clearly enemies of the whole community,” the spokesperson said.

The participants in the marathon event were required to make a slight detour around the area while army technical experts dealt with the device. This extended the distance by a few hundred yards.

Detectives have appealed for anyone with information to contact police in Newtownabbey or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.

(MB/SP)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

15 February 2019
Other News In Brief
Police Probe Sudden Death Of Man In Belfast City Centre Police are investigating the sudden death of a man in Belfast City Centre. His body was found today, Friday 15 February in Keylands Place and officers are probing the circumstances surrounding his death. It is not believed to be suspicious at this time.
12 February 2019
Belfast Movie House To Close In May
The Movie House cinema in Belfast city centre is set to close, it has emerged. The Dublin Road facility has announced its impending closure at the end of May after it was bought by software firm Kainos. The company plans to turn the Bankmore Square site into its new headquarters.
18 February 2019
Other News In Brief
Elderly Woman Forced To The Ground In Belfast City Centre Police are investigating after an 87-year-old woman was pushed to the ground in Belfast City Centre last week. She was admitted to hospital after the incident on Friday 15 February.
06 February 2019
Brexit: PM's Pledge To Avoid A Hard Border
Prime Minister Theresa May has visited Belfast to offer assurances over her Brexit strategy and reiterate her "unshakeable" commitment to avoiding a hard border in Ireland. "The UK Government will not let that happen. I will not let that happen," the Conservative leader told an audience in the city on the afternoon of Tuesday 05 February.