28/10/2005

Catholic Church reveals extent of abuse allegations

The Catholic Church was reeling today following further confirmation of sexual abuse amongst its priests in a number of diocese's north and south of the border.

In the latest revelations, it emerged that 15 priests have been accused of sexually abusing children over the past 50 years in the Down and Connor diocese while a further 26 have been accused of abuse in the Derry diocese over the same period.

The figures followed an Irish government inquiry into child abuse in the Ferns diocese in Co Wexford uncovered over 100 allegations of sexual abuse by priests.

The 271-page Ferns report investigated allegations against 21 priests who had been working in the diocese between 1966-2002.

In the Down and Connor diocese Bishop Patrick Walsh appealed for anyone "who feels they have been hurt, we want to help them".

"We have put in place very, very strict policies and procedures in regard to child protection and there will be training for everyone in every parish in the diocese," he said.

In Derry Dr Seamus Hegarty said there had been only one successful prosecution against the 21 allegations of abuse.

"Our paramount concern is for the safety and welfare of children," he said.

"An independent child care consultant has recently carried out a review of all cases in this diocese, and the diocese will have ongoing external review."

(MB/SP)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

19 February 2019
Public Consultation Launched On Child Sexual Exploitation Law
The Department of Justice has launched an eight week consultation period on proposed measures to strengthen the law in order to protect children from sexual exploitation and abuse.
30 April 2019
Belfast Man Jailed For Domestic Abuse Offences
A 33-year-old man from Belfast has been jailed after he was convicted of domestic abuse offences. The defendant was sentenced to 18 months imprisonment, half to be served in custody and half on licence, after pleading guilty to common assault and attempting to choke his partner with intent to commit false imprisonment.
28 March 2018
Three Released Over Historical Child Abuse Allegations
Three people arrested in connection with historical child abuse allegations in Co Down have been released pending further enquiries. Two men and a woman were detained by police in the Ballynahinch and Killyleagh areas on Tuesday, 27 March. They were questioned at Antrim Serious Crime Suite and have been released.
27 March 2018
Three People Arrested Over Historical Child Abuse Allegations
Three people have been arrested in connection with historical child abuse allegations in Co Down. Two men and a woman were detained in the Ballynahinch and Killyleagh areas on Tuesday, 27 March. They have been taken to Antrim Serious Crime Suite for questioning.
10 July 2017
Online Campaign To Tackle Domestic Violence Launched
The PSNI has launched a new campaign targeting domestic abuse over the summer months. The online initiative, which will run from now until the end of August, aims to help encourage victims to come forward to report incidents of domestic abuse.