28/02/2006

Man released without charge after questioning over bank robbery

A man, who was questioned following a bank robbery on Friday, has been released without charge.

The man was arrested on Sunday afternoon after police carried out searches at a number of houses in north Belfast.

On Friday afternoon, an employee from the Ulster Bank at Carlisle Circus in the north of the city, was forced to take money from the bank, while his wife and one-year-old child were held hostage.

It is understood that a substantial six-figure sum, estimated to be around £200, 000 was taken during the incident.

Meanwhile, two men have been arrested following an attempted robbery in Belfast City Centre yesterday.

A Securicor van was parked outside the Ulster Bank in Lombard Street in Belfast City Centre, at around 4pm, when the incident happened.

Police have appealed for anyone who may have been in the area of Lombard Street or Rosemary Street yesterday afternoon and who may have witnessed the robbery, to contact them on 0845 600 8000, or on the Crimestoppers number on 0800 555 111.

(EF/SP)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

26 April 2022
Appeal For Witnesses To Belfast City Centre Assault
Musgrave Street PSNI have issued an appeal for witnesses following a report of an assault in Belfast city centre in the early hours of this morning, Tuesday 26th April. Making the appeal, Detective Sergeant McCartan said: "Shortly after midnight, a report was received of two males fighting in the Royal Avenue area.
28 April 2022
Tourism Growth Expected To Hit £97m
Visit Belfast has raised its growth target for 2022, promising an economic return for Belfast of £97m Belfast's tourism sector expects to see further growth this year, buoyed by a steady and sustained rise in consumer and business optimism from the city key tourism sectors – business events, city breaks and cruise, according to the city region's de
13 March 2009
'Bank Robbery' Policeman's Gun Death Probed
The tragic case of the apparent suicide of a former police officer which the PSNI are linking to a bank hold-up less than an hour earlier has taken a fresh twist.
03 January 2007
Bank robbery charges dropped
The County Down man accused of the £26 million Northern Bank robbery in 2004, has had the charges against him dropped. Dominic McEvoy, 23, a builder from Mullandra Park in Kilcoo, was not present in Belfast Magistrates Court during the hearing.
07 January 2005
Consequences ‘dire and grim’ says Robinson
The consequences for Sinn Féin will be “dire and grim” if Chief Constable Hugh Orde confirms IRA involvement in the £22 million Northern Bank robbery last month, said DUP deputy leader Peter Robinson.