27/02/2008

Second Irish Construction Death

A 52-year-old man has been killed in what has turned out to be the second Irish construction site death in one day.

This latest accident was at a building site on the Ormeau Road in south Belfast.

It is understood a forklift truck was involved in the incident, and was reported at just before 12pm today, Wednesday.

Northern Ireland's Health and Safety Executive is now investigating the incident.

The other man who died was fatally injured after he got trapped under the wheel of a vehicle while working on a building site at Dublin Airport.

It is understood the man was initially struck by a small bulldozer on the apron of the runway at the front of the old terminal building.

Gardai and the Health and Safety authority have launched an investigation into the incident.

A spokesman for Dublin Airport said this morning that all construction work in the area had ceased pending the arrival of investigation teams.

It is understood the incident happened at around 9.30am near the old terminal building where upgrading work is currently taking place.

(VB/JM)(BMcC)


Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

25 January 2008
Fatal Building Site Accident Probed
Falling bricks have killed a 61-year-old man on a building site in Co Tyrone. The incident happened at a house under construction on a building site in Main Street in Fintona, County Tyrone shortly after 9am on Friday. Emergency services treated the man at the scene but he was pronounced dead a short time later.
01 December 2014
Man Killed In Farming Incident
A man has died in a farming accident in Co Fermanagh. The victim, 71, is thought to have been attacked by cattle on his farm near Ballinamallard. The incident happened over the weekend. An investigation is now being carried out by the Health and Safety Executive.
12 April 2006
NI company investigates scaffolding collapse
An inquiry is being launched after three workers were injured during the collapse of scaffolding on a Milton Keynes building site, managed by a County Tyrone construction company. McAleer and Rushe officials and the Health and Safety Executive are investigating how the 14 storeys of scaffolding surrounding the hotel and housing site fell down.
19 June 2009
Prosecution Follows Building Site Death
The death of a construction worker in Belfast last year has led to the contractor being charged with several offences. As reported in 4ni.co.uk at the time, the death of the 52-year-old victim was the second such Irish construction site death in a single day.
30 September 2016
Man Dies On Construction Site In Co Down
A man has died on a building site in Warrenpoint, Co Down. The Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland (HSENI) has been informed. In a statement HSENI said: "Inspectors from HSENI attended the scene immediately and investigations into the incident are ongoing.