28/02/2008

Three Years On, Missing Lisa's Family Seek Closure

Three years to the day since the disappearance of 25-year-old Bangor woman Lisa Dorrian, a senior police office has renewed appeals for information on the location of the girl's body, after her assumed murder.

Detective Chief Inspector Sean Wright has said those with information about her must break their three-year silence and let her family lay her to rest.

"The key to solving this case, and bringing closure to Lisa's family, is held by a very small group of people. These people could make a real difference to Lisa's family at this difficult time - it is not too late," he said.

Mr Wright added: "They know who they are and detectives will continue to try and glean information from the community as part of ongoing efforts to find Lisa and lead police to whoever killed her.

"We appreciate that the third anniversary of Lisa's disappearance is a very difficult and emotional time for her family.

"Our work will continue and those responsible for Lisa's death should take no comfort from the fact that, thus far, they have not been made amenable."

Lisa went missing in the early hours of February 28, 2005, from a caravan at Ballyhalbert.

Police believe her body was moved out to sea some months after she was murdered and have appealed to people in the sailing community to come forward with any information they believe may be useful.

For the past three years the heartbroken Dorrian family have campaigned tirelessly for Lisa's body to be returned to them.

Her sister Joanne has said the family, who have issued a £30,000 reward for information, are no longer concerned about justice, they just want to find her body.

"We have been living with the nightmare of not knowing where Lisa is for the last three years and the pain is just getting worse as each day passes.

"If we were presented with the choice of securing justice for my sister's killing or having her home then we would chose getting Lisa back every time," she has said.

Anyone with information about Lisa's disappearance, her murder or where her body rests, has been asked to contact detectives on 0845 600 8000 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Alternatively, people can send information anonymously to Lisa's family via their website: www.lisadorrian.co.uk.

(BMcC)


Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

12 March 2020
NI Covid-19 Total Rises By Two
Two further people have tested positive for coronavirus in Northern Ireland, the Department of Health has revealed. Both cases are adults and are declared as secondary transmissions. One of the individuals had recently travelled from northern Italy, while the other has been linked to a previously reported patient who travelled to the region.
11 March 2020
Covid-19: NI Total Jumps To 18
Two further cases of the Covid-19 strain of coronavirus have been identified in Northern Ireland. Both cases are adults and are "secondary transmissions", meaning they can be linked to another infected individual who travelled to northern Italy. It brings totals in Northern Ireland to 18.
11 March 2020
PSNI See Rise In Fraudulent Phone Calls
Members of the public are urged to remain vigilant in the face of rising numbers of fraudulent telephone calls. The PSNI said older people are at a heightened risk of falling victim to over the phone scams.
18 March 2020
Call For Police Support Over Comber Murder Bid
An Alliance MLA has issued a call for support for the police following a shooting in Comber. The gun attack on Sunday night, 15 March, is being treated as attempted murder. A man in his 50s had driven into a yard in the Ballycreely Road area of the town when a masked man armed with a suspected handgun emerged from a hedge.
19 March 2020
Man Shot In The Leg In L'Derry
A man in his 30s has been shot in the leg in L'Derry. Police say the incident in the Magowan Park area of Creggan on Wednesday night, 18 March, has all the hallmarks of a paramilitary-style attack. The victim has been taken to hospital for treatment.