09/07/2002

Belfast July 12th parades given go ahead

As the twelfth of July approaches, two more Orange Parades have been given the go ahead in Belfast.

One march is due to pass the mainly nationalist Ardoyne area although with no music, while the second is routed along the Springfield Road.

The ruling follows weekend clashes in Drumcree where 24 police officers and two civilians were hurt in the riots which erupted after the annual Portadown Orange Order service.

The parades body determination on July 12th parades issued last night ruled an Orange Order parade will be allowed to pass along the nationalist part of the Springfield Road in west Belfast with no restrictions.

Last month an Orange Order parade along the same route erupted in violence with police using a water canon to disperse nationalist rioters.

Meanwhile in north Belfast a march has been allowed to proceed but with restrictions. No music is to be played between the junctions of the Crumlin Road/Hesketh Road and Woodvale Road/Woodvale Parade and supporters have been ordered to stay away.

Sinn Féin councillor Margaret McClenaghan has said she was disappointed the Parades Commission had decided to allow the Ardoyne feeder parade.

Yesterday the party had talks with the Commission urging them to ensure the parade be re-routed after serious violence broke out last year.

Last July the feeder parade, which passes the nationalist Ardoyne area in north Belfast saw trouble break out as Orangemen passed by on their return route.

Police officers were attacked by nationalists as they secured the route for the Orangemen to pass.

Meanwhile a parade by Ballynafeigh District Lodge on Friday will not be allowed to march along the Lower Ormeau Avenue in South Belfast.

The Orange Order said they would do everything they could to prevent violence from breaking out and ensure the parades passed off peacefully.

The 12 July parades celebrate the most important date in the Orange Order's calendar - the 1690 defeat of Catholic King James by Protestant Prince William of Orange at the Battle of the Boyne.

(AMcE)


Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

16 November 2021
Belfast City Council Launches 'Buy Belfast' Initiative
A new initiative has been established to help more than 80 Belfast businesses to share and sell their products to thousands of virtual shoppers. The 'Buy Belfast' Virtual Christmas Market was launched as part of Global Entrepreneurship Week and is open for business until Monday 20 December.
19 November 2021
DUP Demands Apology From Bertie Ahern
The DUP has called on former Taoiseach Bertie Ahern to apologise for demeaning comments about loyalists and East Belfast. Ahern is reported to have said that people in east Belfast "and the ghettos and the areas where you are likely to get trouble" shouldn't criticise the Protocol because they don't understand it.
04 December 2019
Belfast Harbour Named Best Cruise Port
Following a record year for cruise tourism to Northern Ireland, Belfast Harbour has been named the best port of call in the UK and Ireland for cruise ships. The accolade was awarded by a global panel of cruise experts as part of the 2019 Cruise Critic Editors' Pick Awards.
19 January 2022
Crusaders Football Club Announce Partnership With Belfast Met
Crusaders Football Club has announced a new partnership with Belfast Met to offer employment opportunities with the club and their partners which will give students vital work experience to learn new skills to prepare them for the world of work.
11 January 2022
Finyx To Create 20 New Jobs In Belfast
Finyx, a boutique technology advisory firm, has announced its expansion into Northern Ireland, creating 20 new jobs. Headquartered in London, Finyx provides digital services and advice to central government departments and large organisations such as financial institutions.