30/04/2009

Murder Accused Wins Right To Challenge 'Surveillance'

A high-profile republican accused of murdering two soldiers has been granted permission by the High Court to challenge the prison service's silence about what he suspects is covert bugging while in custody.

Colin Duffy, 41, is seeking assurances that the authorities will not bug his legal consultations while in custody charged with the double killing of Sappers Mark Quinsey and Patrick Azimkar, (pictured here).

The soldiers were gunned down at the gates of Massereene Army base in Antrim on March 7 while they collected pizzas from delivery men.

His successful bid will now lead to the prison authorities being forced to answer his challenges over whether or not any surveillance is being undertaken.
News Image
Duffy, a former mainstream republican from Lurgan, Co Armagh, is also charged with five counts of attempted murder and possession of arms and ammunition in connection with the Real IRA shootings.

His lawyers applied for leave to seek a judicial review based on the uncertainty surrounding any conversations he has while being held.

Barry Macdonald QC told a two judge panel headed by Lord Chief Justice Sir Brian Kerr it would be completely unlawful for any monitoring to be carried out.

The court action follows a previous bugging incident, which led - in 2006 - to the PSNI Chief Constable Sir Hugh Orde being grilled by the Law Society of Northern Ireland.

That meeting was about allegations that a solicitor - who was later arrested on suspicion of terrorist offences - had been secretly bugged during confidential meetings with clients while in police custody.

See: Chief Constable to meet with Law Society over bugging claim

(BMcC/JM)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

10 March 2020
Other News In Brief
Belfast City Marathon Management Keen To Run Event Organisers of the Belfast City Marathon say they are keen to see the event go ahead.
14 September 2004
Sinn Féin display second bugging device
Sinn Féin has put on display a second bugging device which it says was discovered at one of its offices in west Belfast.
18 March 2020
Call For Police Support Over Comber Murder Bid
An Alliance MLA has issued a call for support for the police following a shooting in Comber. The gun attack on Sunday night, 15 March, is being treated as attempted murder. A man in his 50s had driven into a yard in the Ballycreely Road area of the town when a masked man armed with a suspected handgun emerged from a hedge.
15 September 2017
Man Arrested Over Larne Incidents
A man has been arrested in connection with a number of incidents in Larne. The 23-year-old suspect has been detained on suspicion of attempted murder, possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life, hijacking and aggravated vehicle taking. A car was hijacked and shots fired at a property in Co Antrim on Monday, 11 September.
12 August 2016
Attempted Murder Investigation Launched Following Pipe Bomb Find
Police have launched an attempted murder investigation following the discovery of a pipe bomb in north Belfast on Tuesday, 09 August. The "viable device" was found in the North Queen Street area. Police believe it was most likely thrown at a passing PSNI vehicle the night before.