01/10/2009

No Decision On Trump Golf Resort Orders

A decision on the use of compulsory purchase orders to make way for Donald Trump's golf resort will not be made this week by Aberdeenshire Council.

The meeting being held this morning at the Aberdeen Exhibition and Conference Centre (AECC) will not debate the issue after Trump International, requested that a report not be submitted in order to allow further time for negotiations with homeowners on the estate.

Councillors will, however, be asked to debate a motion from Cllr Martin Ford asking the council not to use compulsory purchase powers on the Menie Estate to force residents from their homes.

He told BBC Scotland: "It's unsettling, it's uncomfortable and it's threatening, it's like someone standing over you with a permanent threat and a bullying tactic which is exactly what it is."

Mr Trump has contentious plans for two championship golf courses, 950 holiday homes and 500 houses, which were the subject of a public local inquiry by the Scottish Government after they were rejected by the Aberdeenshire Council committee chaired by Cllr Ford.

The are currently four homeowners refusing to sell their homes. One of the residents. David Milne, will be allowed to address councillors for 15 minutes at the meeting.

Mr Trump's son, Donald Trump Jnr, told BBC Scotland the owners have been offered a 15% premium on market value of their properties.

They can also avail of the opportunity to buy new homes at cost price with lifetime use of facilities.

The Menie Liberation Front group, campaigners against the tycoon's golf resort, last week dressed up statues around Scotland as Mr Trump.

They said Mr Trump masks and golf clubs had been added to about 20 statues in Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Stirling.

Trump International condemned the action as a "stunt".

See: Trump's £1bn Golf Resort Gets The Go-Ahead

(KMcA)

Related UK National News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

03 March 2008
Ian Junior Back On Property Development Trail
Ian Paisley Junior is again getting involved in property development issues. The politician is to meet US tycoon Donald Trump's officials next month amid continuing uncertainty over the future of the millionaire's plans for a luxury golf resort in Scotland.
29 September 2009
No Trump Decision Due By Council
A decision on the use of compulsory purchase orders to make way for Donald Trump's golf resort will not be made this week by Aberdeenshire Council. The meeting on Thursday will not debate the issue after Trump International, requested that a report not be submitted in order to allow further time for negotiations with homeowners on the estate.
05 December 2007
Scottish Executive To Consider Trump Golf Links
Scottish Assembly Ministers have stepped in to decide whether Donald Trump's £1bn golf resort goes ahead, after the plans were rejected by the local authority. The property tycoon's Aberdeenshire proposals were turned down last week by a council committee.
28 October 2009
Construction Begins On Trump Golf Resort
Initial construction work on tycoon Donald Trump's £1bn golf resort, at the Menie estate, North of Aberdeen, has begun. On Tuesday, Aberdeenshire councillors on the Formartine Committee gave the go-ahead for the preparatory work to stabilise the shifting sand dunes to be carried out. Work includes the laying of marram grass, earthwork and fencing.
03 November 2008
Trump's £1bn Golf Resort Gets The Go-Ahead
The Scottish Government has decided to grant outline planning permission for the application by Trump International Golf Links Scotland to develop a golf resort in Balmedie, Aberdeenshire.