18/06/2013

Third And Largest Round Of Cuts Made To Army Personnel

The biggest round of job cuts since the start of the defence review in 2010, will see almost 4,500 Army personnel being redundant.

It is part of an ongoing government plan to cut the number of full time military personnel from 102,000 to 82,000, while increasing the number of reservists.

The government have said of the cuts that the Army "must live within its means".

According to the Ministry of Defence, 84% of the 4,480 being made redundant have volunteered to leave. The remaining 16%, or 715 personnel, are compulsory redundancies.

It is understood that this round of redundancies does not apply to any active soldiers on duty on Afghanistan.

The effort to increase the number of reservists, hoped to reach some 30,000 by 2018, is thought to be reliant on the attitude of employers.

(MH/CD)

Related UK National News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

18 March 2009
Reforms To Bill Address Needs Of Scotland Based Service Families
Families of Scottish service personnel killed abroad will no longer have to travel to England to attend their loved one's inquests under proposed amendments to the coroners system, Justice Minister Bridget Prentice said today.
15 December 2008
MoD Introduces Increased Compensation For Injured Personnel
Compensation payments for the most serious injuries have been doubled to a new maximum lump sum of £570,000 today. All injured personnel who have received an award under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme will receive an increase of between 10 and 100% to their tax-free lump sum payment.
11 February 2010
More Support For Wounded Soldiers
Sick and injured UK soldiers will be given enhanced support to help them return to duty or civilian life, under new plans announced by the Ministry of Defence today. The Army Recovery Capability (ARC) will take soldiers from the point of injury or illness through to their return to duty or into a successful and supported civilian life.
15 October 2013
British Soldier Killed In Afghanistan
A British soldier has been killed in Afghanistan, the Ministry of Defence have confirmed. It is understood that the soldier of the 14 Signals Regiment had been on patrol in Helmand Province when he was killed by enemy fire. His death brings the number of UK service personnel to have died in Afghanistan since 2001 to 445.
28 April 2014
MoD Names Five Service Personnel Killed In Helicopter Crash
The Ministry of Defence (MoD) has confirmed the names of the five service personnel who lost their lives following the crash of a Lynx helicopter in southern Afghanistan on 26 April 2014.