Man Arrested Following Fireworks Explosion

A man has been arrested following a fire at a fireworks warehouse in Staffordshire.

An explosion occurred at SP Plastics at around 5.15pm on Thursday (30 October).

Police have said an investigation has now been launched into the incident.

A number of people suffered injuries in the fire. Two men were taken to the University Hospital of North Staffordshire; one in his 40s is being treated for serious burns, and the other, said to be in his 60s, is being treated for a back injury. Two women, one in her 40s and one in her 50s, were received treatment for smoke inhalation at the scene.

A further two people are still unaccounted for. Their families have been informed.

Police have said they are now working to establish the cause of the explosion and are trying to trace who was in and around the unit at the time.

Roads around the scene remain closed as forensic examinations are carried out.

In a statement, Superintendent Ian Coxhead, from Staffordshire Police, said: "We have a great deal of sensitive and challenging work to complete in order to allow us to establish the cause of the explosion and following fire.

"We understand the unit was storing a significant volume of fireworks which appear to have been completely destroyed during the blaze last night. This makes the ongoing examination of the scene particularly challenging and we expect to be at the scene for some time.

"We can confirm a 53-year-old male has been arrested in connection with the incident."


Related UK National News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

12 June 2015
Body Found Following Explosion in Co Durham
A body of a man has been recovered from a house in Darlington, Co Durham, following an explosion. It is understood that fire crews were called after a suspected explosion caused a fire at a property on Lewes Road at about 02:50 on Friday morning. The body was found by firefighters after they entered the building.
24 August 2012
Homes Evacuated After Gas Explosion
Up to 100 homes have been evacuated after a factory fire caused a gas explosion. The fire broke out at the industrial site in the Radcliffe area of Greater Manchester at around 21.45 pm on Thursday night. Fire crews were called to the scene as the flames began to spread.
08 May 2009
Heroic Tyne Firemen Honoured
Two Tyne and Wear firefighters are to be recognised for their bravery at a special ceremony today. Andrew Nelson and Allan Richardson will be presented with the Chief Fire Officer's Commendations for brave and meritorious conduct after saving a man's life. The men took part in a dramatic rescue in the early hours of 4 February.
31 August 2006
Firefighters launch four-day strike
More than 1,000 firefighters across Merseyside have begun a four-day strike in protest over planned job cuts. Another four-day stoppage is scheduled to begin two hours after the first one ends.
03 March 2010
Suspicious Glasgow Car Fires
Detectives in Glasgow's East End are investigating a spate of vehicle fire attacks in the city yesterday. Shortly after 3.30am police were called to a report of a vehicle fire in Ashvale Crescent, Glasgow. Upon arrival police were advised by Strathclyde Fire Service that four vehicles had been damaged by fire.