66-Year-Old Fugitive Hands Himself Into Netherlands Police

A 66-year-old man from Essex, sentenced to 14 years in his absence for drug trafficking offences, has handed himself in to authorities in the Netherlands.

James Tarrant, who featured in the multi-agency Operation Return appeal to track down suspected or convicted criminals on the run, is the second fugitive to walk into a police station this month.

Tarrant was arrested in 2009 as part of a Metropolitan Police investigation in which officers recovered cannabis blocks, two kilos of cocaine, a handgun, ammunition, body armour and approximately £5,000 from a house in Waltham Abbey. After being granted conditional bail, Tarrant absconded and was convicted of drug and firearm offences in 2010.

He was detained on a European Arrest Warrant at Breda Police Station on 19 September, and extradition proceedings are now underway.

Dave Allen, Head of the International Crime Bureau at the National Crime Agency, said: "To have two fugitives hand themselves in within less than three weeks shows the impact we are having with our 'Most Wanted' campaigns. These fugitives really do have nowhere to hide and I would urge any of the remaining individuals to save yourself the trouble and hand yourself in."

Robert Mortby, aged 28, from London, who was also wanted by the Metropolitan Police, turned up at a police station in Gibraltar earlier this month. Mortby featured in Operation Captura – the Spanish equivalent of Operation Return. He has since been extradited to the UK.


Related UK National News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

02 November 2011
Irish Police Tackles GB Rugby Team
The newly branded Ireland Police Rugby team will take on a British Police Select Team at Newforge in Belfast later today. The Ireland Police Rugby Team is a combination of members of An Garda Síochána and the Police Service of Northern Ireland.
12 November 2014
Release Of Police Killer Described As 'Sickening'
The release of a man convicted of killing three unarmed police officers in 1966 has been described as "sickening". Harry Roberts, now aged 78, has been released from prison after serving 48 years for 1966 murders of three unarmed police officers in Shepherd's Bush in west London.
29 August 2014
Major Police Hunt Launched After Boy Taken From Hospital
A major police hunt has begun after a five-year-old boy with a brain tumour, was taken by his family without consent from Southampton General Hospital. Police said that Ashya King was taken from the hospital by Brett King, 51, and Naghemeh King, 45, on Thursday. It is thought he may have been taken to France.
07 May 2014
'Skull Cracker' In Custody In London
Kent Police, in partnership with officers from the Metropolitan Police Service, have arrested two men in East London on suspicion of conspiracy to commit armed robbery. On 3 May, Kent Police began a search for Michael Wheatley, 55, who had failed to return to HMP Standford Hill after being released on temporary licence.
07 February 2012
Great Expectations Of The MPU
Today is the 200th anniversary of the birth of renowned English novelist Charles Dickens (7 February 1812 - 9 June 1870), widely considered the greatest of the Victorian period. London as Dickens knew it, reached his pages, not from his imagination, but from his observations.