12/03/2004

Leicester City trio fly home after being granted bail

The three Leicester City players accused of sexually assaulting three women in La Manga last week have been released on bail.

The club's captain Paul Dickov and players Frank Sinclair and Keith Gillespie are expected to return to the UK today after their release from a jail in Murcia late last night.

Mr Dickov, Mr Sinclair and Mr Gillespie were formally released on combined bail of £196,500 after a day-long sitting by a Spanish judge. They will be expected to report to a Spanish consulate as part of the bail conditions. No court date has yet been set.

All three have been charged with 'sexual aggression' which carries a maximum sentence of up to 14 years in prison. The players strenuously deny the charges which arose out of an alleged incident involving three German women at a hotel in La Manga last week. The probe into the women's allegations is continuing.

The club said that the players were in good health and looking forward to being reunited with their families at the earliest available opportunity.

In a statement, chief executive Tim Davies, said: "The players wish me to say that they are delighted that they are able to return to England after what has been an extremely traumatic time for them."

He added: "They wish to express their thanks to their families, team-mates, the club and their legal teams for all the support they have received. At this time, the players have been advised they cannot make any further comment other than to reiterate their total innocence of all criminal charges still outstanding against them and that they have every confidence in the Spanish legal system that justice will be seen to be done."

Foxes manager Micky Adams said today that the trio will not be considered for selection in this Saturday's premiership fixture against Birmingham.

As he prepared for the final training session ahead of the visit to St Andrews, Mr Adams said: "We have been training all week without them and, given the ordeal they have been through, what is best for them now is that they have a quiet weekend with their families."

Six other players who were released by the Spanish authorities last Friday are all available for selection - with the exception of James Scowcroft who starts a three-match suspension.

(gmcg)

Related UK National News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

20 May 2004
Charges dropped against Leicester City trio
The three Leicester City players accused of sexually assaulting three women in the Spanish resort of La Manga last February have seen all charges against them dropped. The club's captain Paul Dickov and players Frank Sinclair and Keith Gillespie had been charged with 'sexual aggression', which carries a maximum sentence of up to 14 years in prison.
05 March 2004
Three Leicester players charged over sex assault
Three players with the Premiership club Leicester City have been charged with sexual aggression and breaking and entering following an alleged incident at a hotel in Spain. Scotland international Paul Dickov, Northern Ireland international Keith Gillespie, and Frank Sinclair have been told that they will face trial.
04 March 2004
Nine Leicester City players arrested in Spain
Nine Leicester City football players have been arrested by police in Spain after three women alleged they had been sexually assaulted. Three German women complained to police in Alicante that were sexually assaulted after several men broke into their hotel room in Los Belones.
08 March 2004
Leicester boss vows to stay on as trio stay in jail
Leicester City boss Mickey Adams has vowed to stay on at the club as three of his players spend their fifth day in a Spanish jail. In a statement released on the club's website today, Mr Adams acknowledged that it had been a "difficult time" for everyone connected with the club.
20 June 2008
England Rugby Players In 'Serious Sexual Assault' Probe
The England Rugby squad will play New Zealand's All Blacks on Saturday under the shadow of a "serious sexual assault" allegation against four of its players. New Zealand Police have confirmed the nature of the alleged assault today.