Police question man over Manchester pub shootings

A 41-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the March pub shooting in Manchester which left two men dead.

The man, who is from south Manchester, was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder by armed police at an address in Radcliffe in the early hours of Thursday morning.

The arrest is in connection with a shooting at the Brass Handles bar in Salford on March 12. Two armed men - Carlton Alveranga, 20 and Richard Austin, 19 - are understood to have entered the pub, which was packed with fans watching a Manchester United game, and opened fire.

They were chased out of the pub and shot by two men who were also armed with guns. Both men who were found dead outside the pub had died from single gunshot wounds to the chest.

Two other men, both aged 27 and from Salford, also suffered gunshot wounds and were taken to Hope hospital for treatment. Their wounds were not life threatening.

Greater Manchester Police are investigating the possibility that the attack was sparked by a feud between gang members.

Police are also trying to trace a black Ford Mondeo - registration number V373 FRJ - which they believe may be connected to the shootings.


Related UK National News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

11 May 2009
Boy, 16, Shot Dead At Manchester Pub
A murder investigation is underway after a 16-year-old boy was shot dead at a pub in Greater Manchester. Officers were called to the Robin Hood pub in Barton Road, Stretford, Manchester, following reports of shots being fired shortly before midnight.
26 February 2015
Man Arrested Over Kieran McGrath Murder
Detectives investigating the death of a man outside a police station in Greater Manchester have arrested three men. Kieran McGrath, 26, was shot outside the Sheldon Arms pub on 04 October last year. He then drove himself to Ashton-under-Lyne police station and collapsed outside its door. He died from a single gunshot wound to the chest.
12 March 2008
Police Chief 'May Have Committed Suicide'
A post-mortem has been carried out on the body of Greater Manchester Police Chief Constable Michael Todd, who was found dead in north Wales on Tuesday. According to reports, the examination has found no obvious cause of death.
14 March 2008
Police Chief's Body Released For Burial
The body of Greater Manchester Police Chief Michael Todd has been released to his family for burial. The 50-year-old married father-of-three was found dead at the foot of cliff near Bwlch Glas in Snowdon north Wales on Tuesday afternoon.
18 September 2015
GMP Report On FGM Operations At Manchester Airport
Several hundred families were spoken to and more than one hundred flights were monitored as part of a week-long campaign to raise awareness about female genital mutilation (FGM).