25/05/2007

Images of absconded terror suspects released

Police investigating the disappearance of three terror suspects who absconded while under control orders have released new images of the suspects.

The new images include CCTV footage of 24-year-old Cerie Bullivant entering Dagenham police station on Monday. He failed to attend the next day.

The image shows that Mr Bullivant with short hair - it was announced yesterday that he had recently cut his hair, after police issued a photograph of him with longer hair.

Brothers Lamine and Ibrahim Adam, 26 and 20, are also missing after failing to contact a monitoring company on May 21.

Six people have absconded since control orders - a form of house arrest, which places restrictions on an individual's movements - were first used in March 2005.

Speaking on Thursday, Home Secretary John Reid announced that the government was considering suspending some parts of the European Convention on Human Rights in order to impose tougher control orders, prompting the Liberal Democrats to suggest that such a move would turn Britain into a "renegade state".

The Adams' brother Anthony Garcia, 25, was one of five men jailed for life last month over the 'fertiliser bomb' plot.

Mr Reid said that the three men were not considered to be a direct threat to the UK public at this time.

It is believed that the men may be involved in plans to kill British and US troops in Iraq and it is feared that they may now have left the country.

Lamine and Ibrahim were born in Algeria and are of north African origin. Lamine is 6ft tall, of slim build, with a light complexion and short dark brown hair. He was last seen with a short beard or stubble.

Ibrahim Adam is 6ft 2in tall, of slim build, with a light complexion and short dark brown hair.

Cerie Bullivant was born in the UK. He is described as white, 5ft 7in tall, of slim build with brown receding hair and brown eyes. He recently cut his hair very short.

Police have asked anyone who sees the men not to approach them, but to contact police immediately on 999.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the confidential anti-terrorist hotline on: 0800 789 321.

On Friday, it was announced that the BBC had won a court action to publish the name of another terrorist suspect who disappeared while under a control order.

Bestsun Salim disappeared from Manchester after breaching his control order last August. An Iraqi, Mr Salim had alleged links to Jordanian-born militant Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, who was Iraq's most notorious insurgent leader until his death last June.

The government dropped its objections to the BBC's challenge, because it is believed that Mr Salim has left the UK. He has been banned from returning.

(KMcA/SP)

Related UK National News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

07 December 2009
Paedophiles On Most Wanted Website
Police have turned to the web and a 'Most Wanted' website to track down two criminals who have went 'AWOL'. The Police in Merseyside and Cornwall have placed two paedophiles who they have called 'dangerous' on the national 'Most Wanted' website.
25 April 2012
Bald Barbie's Spread Inspiration
Thousands of young girls who are suffering from the trauma of losing their hair are to be given an inspirational boost by a famous toymaker. Mattel, the maker of the Barbie doll has announced its plans to create a bald Barbie after an online petition was started to help young girls cope with the struggles of losing their hair at such a young age.
24 May 2007
Reid under fire as terror suspects abscond
Home Secretary John Reid has come under fire after three terror suspects absconded while under control orders. Scotland Yard said that they were alerted when brothers Lamine and Ibrahim Adam, 26 and 20, failed to contact a monitoring company on May 21.
08 July 2015
Appeal Issued For Missing 13-Year-Old In Bradford
Police in Bradford have appeal for information on the whereabouts of 13-year-old Jamilah Patel. Bradford District CID are searching for the teenager who was reported missing from her home on Wheatlands Avenue at about 23:40 on Tuesday night.
07 May 2014
'Skull Cracker' In Custody In London
Kent Police, in partnership with officers from the Metropolitan Police Service, have arrested two men in East London on suspicion of conspiracy to commit armed robbery. On 3 May, Kent Police began a search for Michael Wheatley, 55, who had failed to return to HMP Standford Hill after being released on temporary licence.