31/05/2007

Police appeal over missing businessman

Greater Manchester Police have issued a fresh appeal over the disappearance of a man who disappeared from his home in Didsbury a year ago.

Sarwar Al-Hafeed, 38, was last seen by his wife, Dana, at his home on Wilmslow Road, before he left for work at 7:15am on the morning of May 31, 2006.

It is feared that Mr Al-Hafeed, who is originally from Iraq, may have been abducted.

A short time after he left his home, around 7:40am, a blue Ford Escort, which police believe may have been Mr Al-Hafeed's car, was seen parked next to a white van on Mauldeth Road, close to the junction with Parrswood Road, outside St Chad's church in Fallowfield.

Mr Al-Hafeed did not arrive at work that morning. His car has never been found and he has also not used his bank accounts or his mobile phone since his disappearance.

Mr Al-Hafeed has three children - a 13-year-old daughter and two sons, aged eight and four. He is originally from Iraq but is now a British citizen. The day he went missing, he was going to work in Dulcie Court, where he worked as Executive Director of Leadstay, a social housing organisation.

Mr Al-Hafeed is described as having short brown hair and a moustache. When he went missing, he was wearing a blue denim shirt, black canvas type trousers and a khaki jacket.

Police are keen to speak to anyone who may have seen the white van and the blue Ford Escort on Mauldeth Road on the morning of Mr Al-Hafeed's disappearance.

The doors to the van were apparently open and it was parked in such a way that pedestrians may have struggled to get past it.

Police are also trying to trace Mr Al-Hafeed's car - a blue Ford Escort, registration number P87 RWX.

Detective Superintendent Ian Foster from Greater Manchester Police said: "It is now a year since Sarwar's family had any contact with him and we are still keen for any information on what happened to him.

"Previous appeals have given us some lines of inquiry and we have been following them up, but we are still keen to speak to anyone with any further information on his whereabouts.

"We can still not rule out the possibility that Sarwar went away of his own accord, although this would be extremely out of character for him.

"I would like to make an appeal to Sarwar or anyone who knows where he is to come forward with further information. We need to give his family some peace of mind to help them to move on with their lives.

Anyone with any information is asked to contact police on: 0161 856 4032 or Crimestoppers on: 0800 555 111.

(KMcA/SP)

Related UK National News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

27 January 2015
Police Arrest Two Men Over 1991 Abduction And Murder
Police investigating the abduction and murder of Nicola Payne in 1991 have arrested two men. Ms Payne was 18 when she went missing on 14 December, more than 23 years ago.
02 April 2015
Former Police Officer Jailed For Misconduct
A former police officer has been jailed for committing misconduct in public office over a period of more than 10 years. Simon Quinn, 43, of Horsham, West Sussex was arrested in April 2013, under Operation Elveden.
30 October 2014
Man Arrested Over Jean McConville Murder
A man, 73, has been arrested in connection with the murder of Jean McConville. The man from the Dunmurry area has been taken to Antrim police station for questioning. Mrs McConville was murdered by the IRA in 1972. She was falsely accused of passing information to security forces.
01 November 2013
North Yorkshire Police Will Not Face Savile Action
The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) has ruled that North Yorkshire Police will not face any action over contact between its officers and Jimmy Savile. The force had been investigated by the IPCC "in light of information received". They have now said that following a review of "all relevant material", there will be no further action.
26 April 2013
Former Police Officer Admits Selling Information
A former police officer has admitted to selling information to the newspaper The Sun. According to the BBC, 30-year-old James Bowes is now facing jail after he pleaded guilty to one count of misconduct in public office. Mr Bowes was a police sergeant on the Sussex Police neighbourhood policing team.