Accidental Death Verdict In Flood Case

The jury at an inquest into the death of a man who died in a storm drain during the summer floods has returned a verdict of accidental death.

Michael Barnett, 28, died from hypothermia after being trapped for four hours in a drain in Hessle in Hull on June 25, when his thigh became trapped in a temporary grill.

In returning his verdict, the jury foreman said that Mr Barnett had died "in a selfless act to help others and without thought for his own safety, he became trapped in a flooded drain".

Following the verdict, coroner Geoffrey Saul said that he would be writing to the appropriate national authorities to report the "gap" in emergency services provision for underwater rescue.

The inquest heard that firefighters were not trained to use their cutting equipment under water, while police divers were only trained in search rather than rescue techniques.

However, Mr Saul did praise all those who worked to try and save Mr Barnett.


Related UK National News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

20 August 2015
Investigation Launched After Death Of Woman Following Bus Fall
A woman has died in hospital after falling on a route E3 bus on Chiswick High Road, just after 13:30 on Tuesday, 18 August. The 77-year-old woman was taken to hospital by ambulance, where she was pronounced dead shortly before 17:00.
16 October 2012
Attorney General Applies To Have Original Hillsborough Verdict Quashed
An application has been put forward by the Attorney General to have the original Hillsborough inquest verdict quashed. Dominic Grieve QC announced the move in Parliament in his response to the Hillsborough Independent Panel's report published on 12 September.
11 July 2014
Polar Bear Death Inquest Verdict Delayed Until Next Week
The verdict in an inquest into the death of 17-year-old boy mauled by a polar bear is to be delayed by a week. Horatio Chapple, from Salisbury, died after being attacked by the bear while on an adventure holiday with the British Schools Exploring Society (BSES) in August 2011. Four others in the group were seriously injured in the attack.