Defender Questioned Over Manchester Hotel Rape

Manchester United and Northern Ireland footballer Johnny Evans has been released on bail after being questioned in connection with the alleged rape of a woman at a Manchester hotel.

The 19-year-old defender was arrested on suspicion of rape after voluntarily presenting himself at a police station on Tuesday. He has been bailed until February 23.

It has been alleged that a 26-year-old woman was raped at the Great John Street Hotel in Manchester in the early hours of Tuesday morning. Footballers from Manchester United were attending a private Christmas party at the hotel. Police were called to the hotel around 4am following reports of rape.

A spokesperson for the Great John Street Hotel confirmed that an event had been held at the hotel on Monday night.

Manchester United have not commented on the allegations.

The Great John Street Hotel, a boutique hotel which was converted from a Victorian schoolhouse in the upmarket Castlefield area of Manchester, opened two years ago.

Evans, who has played for Northern Ireland eight times, made his first appearance for Manchester United in September after spending last season on loan to Sunderland.


Related UK National News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

30 March 2005
Rooney assault claims dropped
The man who accused footballer Wayne Rooney of assault has dropped his claim, it has been reported. Patrick Hanrahan, a 22-year-old student from Eaglescliffe, Middlesborough, accused the England and Manchester United striker of attacking him in the Tiger Tiger nightclub in Manchester.
30 July 2014
Public Fight Off Attacker In Attempted Rape
Greater Manchester Police are searching for a man in connection with an attempted rape in Clayton Vale nature reserve. Police say that a 30-year-old woman was attacked while she was running at about 11:45 on Tuesday.
26 November 2007
Rape Awareness TV Campaign Launched
A rape awareness television campaign has been launched by Greater Manchester Police in the run-up to Christmas.
19 August 2005
Twelve-year-old charged with raping child
A 12-year-old boy has been charged with raping another boy, aged 8, in Greater Manchester, police have confirmed. The 12-year-old from the Wigan area, who can not be named for legal reasons, has been charged with two counts of rape, seven counts of sexual assault and three counts of engaging a child in sexual activity.
18 September 2015
GMP Report On FGM Operations At Manchester Airport
Several hundred families were spoken to and more than one hundred flights were monitored as part of a week-long campaign to raise awareness about female genital mutilation (FGM).