29/10/2008

Teen Dies After Taking Acne Medication

A schoolboy has died after taking medication he was prescribed for acne.

Shaun Jones, 14, of Rhydyfelin, died after suffering a suspected allergic reaction to the prescription tablets on 21 October. The teenager, described as "superfit" and a keen rugby player collapsed with breathing difficulties after taking the pills.

An inquest into his death was opened and adjourned to await the results of more medical tests.

Graeme Jones, the 14-year-old's father, said: "It is unbelievable. He was a strong, fit lad and was loved by everyone.

"He was popular with the girls and had a couple of spots, so the doctor gave him some antibiotic acne tablets. A lot of his friends are taking them."

Mr Jones added: "It was the first time he'd taken them and he developed breathing difficulties.

"We called 999 and he went to hospital - but it was too late. The doctors couldn't save him."

The boy's father, who declined to name the drug Shaun had taken until after medical tests are completed, said the doctor who prescribed the medication was "really upset" adding the family "don't blame him".

Acne medication does warn of the potential side effects, including allergic respiratory tract and skin reactions, however deaths are described as 'very rare'.

(JM)

Related UK National News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

18 November 2014
11-Year-Old Shot In The Head With Pellet Gun
An 11-year-old boy has been shot in the head during an under-12s football match in Chester-le-Street, Co Durham, on Saturday. The boy, named as Connor Minto, was left with a pellet lodged above his left eye after he was shot with what police believe to have been an air rifle.
12 August 2009
Treatment 'Worse Than Cure' For Depressed
While adults taking antidepressants are not at greater risk of suicidal thoughts or behaviour, young adults - aged less than 25 years of age - are at an increased risk, similar to that seen in children and adolescents, finds research published on the British Medical Journal's website, bmj.com today.
18 February 2005
MHRA reissues antidepressant advice
The Medical and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) has resissued recent advice on SSRIs, following a number of studies published in the latest edition of the British Medical Journal (BMJ).
27 February 2009
Healthy Schoolboy Dies After Taking Acne Pills
A healthy teenager died 12 hours after taking medication for acne, a coroner has said. Shaun Jones, 14, of Rhydyfelin, near Pontypridd, South Wales, died "of complications" 12 hours after taking the drug Sebomin, Cardiff coroner Mary Hassell said.
04 June 2015
Woman In Serious Condition After Taking Legal High
A woman is in a serious condition in hospital after taking a legal high in Warrington. Officers were called to James Lee House in Brick Street, Warrington shortly after 1.20am on 3 June. Three men and a woman were taken to hospital due to concerns about their welfare. Police believe they may have taken the legal high Vertex.