30/09/2011

Beware 'One Punch' Death Threat: PSNI

A shocking 18 victims have been killed in Northern Ireland from so-called 'one-punch attacks' in the past seven years.

The police have this week highlighted the risks of getting involved in an argument or fight that could lead to serious injury or death.

The PSNI launched a new poster campaign to raise awareness of the issue earlier this week.

Targeted at men aged 18-25, it highlights the risks of getting involved in an argument or fight, which could ultimately lead to serious injury or death.

Speaking at the launch of the 'One Punch' initiative, Detective Chief Inspector Karen Baxter said: "Our figures show that over the past seven years (2004 – 2011) 18 people have died as a result of one punch attacks and many more have been seriously injured.

"With just one punch, lives have been destroyed and families lives have been wrecked.

"The majority of these incidents are fuelled by alcohol and can have a devastating impact a victim, their family and for the offender, who will likely face a murder or manslaughter charge and have a criminal record for the rest of their life," she added.
News Image
DCI Baxter continued: "Raising awareness of One Punch is timely given the number of students and young people who are embarking on a new term at college or university across towns and cities in Northern Ireland.

"As Halloween and the festive season approaches it is a very busy time socially for people - our message is to enjoy their night out, but most importantly - to stay safe."

Endorsing the initiative Clinical Director for Emergency Care for the Belfast Health Trust Dr Russell McLaughlin said: "I have been treating the victims of injury for many years and unfortunately I am all too aware of the potentially fatal consequences of a single blow to the head.

"This campaign has the potential to save lives and prevent disability in young adults who unfortunately tend to be the victims of serious injury and assault."

Also supporting the campaign Chief Executive of Victim Support NI, Susan Reid said: "We see the consequences of these thoughtless acts and we understand how far-reaching the impact can be for victims, their families and friends as well as people who witness the incidents.

"We wish it didn't happen but if it does we are here to help people with support, practical help and any information they need."

(BMcC/GK)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

10 March 2020
Man Escapes Injury In Co Antrim Shooting
A man aged in his 40s has escaped injury after a shot was fired at his Co Antrim home. Police are appealing for information following the incident in the Orkney Drive area of Ballymena early on Monday morning, 09 March. A shot was fired at the house shortly after midnight, causing damage to a front window.
17 December 2019
Almost £200k For Arts Projects Supporting Older People
Organisations delivering community-based arts projects that benefit older people are to share in almost £200,000 of National Lottery funding. The Arts Council of Northern Ireland announced the money, supported by the Public Health Agency and Baring Foundation, for over 28 organisations in the Older People's Programme.
08 May 2002
Ministers off to Spain to meet victims’ groups
Northern Ireland Office Victims Minister Des Browne and Junior Stormont Minister Des Haughey are to meet with politicians and victims’ groups in Spain.
10 December 2009
Executive Victims' Strategy Revealed
The long-awaited publication of the Stormont Executive's Strategy for Victims and Survivors of The Troubles has been announced. First Minister Peter Robinson and Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness announced the development in a written statement to the Assembly.
15 January 2007
Victims Commissioner appointment not quashed
A High Court ruling has not quashed the appointment of Bertha McDougall as the Northern Ireland Interim Victims Commissioner. However, in his ruling Lord Justice Girvan said that the appointment was "improper and politically motivated.