31/10/2012

Carbon Monoxide Alarms Now A Legal Requirement

Carbon monoxide alarms are now a legal requirement for all new homes in Northern Ireland.

The law follows the deaths of two teenagers from carbon monoxide poising at a holiday home in County L’Derry in August 2010.

18-year-old Neil McFerran and Aaron Davidson died in an apartment near Coleraine.

Their friend Matthew Gaw, who was also in the apartment, survived.

From 31 October, NI Building Regulations require a carbon monoxide detector or alarm "in the room where the appliance is located. However, if the combustion appliance is installed in a room or space not normally used e.g. a boiler room/cupboard, the detector/alarm should be located just outside the room or space."

The new law will also mean that an alarm must be fitted if a boiler or solid fuel stove is upgraded or replaced.

A new survey has been carried out by the Carbon Monoxide - Be Alarmed! Campaign.

It showed that only 39% of people have a carbon monoxide alarm and that half the UK population believe their smoke alarm will alert them to carbon monoxide gas.

The research was undertaken in September among 3,458 UK adults.

81% of people surveyed know that carbon monoxide can kill.

Carbon monoxide is the result of fuels like gas, oil, coal and wood not burning completely.

This can happen if an appliance like a boiler or cooker is installed incorrectly or is poorly maintained.

The Department of Health estimates 50 people are killed by carbon monoxide poisoning in the UK every year.

4,000 are estimated to be treated in hospital for illness as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning.

But the Carbon Monoxide - Be Alarmed! group says the amount of people affected by carbon monoxide poisoning could be higher, as symptoms are often similar to common illnesses like flu and food poisoning.

(IT)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

23 January 2020
Petrol Bombs Thrown At Co Antrim Flat
An investigation is underway after petrol bombs were thrown at a flat in Co Antrim. Two petrol bombs were thrown at a ground floor property in Brookfield Gardens, Ahoghill on Wednesday night, 22 January. One device smashed through the living room window and landed in the room where a male occupant extinguished the flames.
30 September 2013
Teenagers' Mothers Back CO Campaign
The mothers of two teenage boys who died from carbon monoxide poisoning in 2010 have endorsed a new campaign urging people to install alarms in their homes. 18-year-olds Aaron Davidson and Neil McFerran died in August 2010 at apartments in Castlerock, County L'Derry.
18 October 2010
User Guide Recalls Gas Tragedy
A double tragedy in Co Londonderry last summer has been recalled with the launch of a new guide to raise awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning. NI's Chief Medical Officer Dr Michael McBride has commended the guide, Carbon Monoxide: Are You at Risk? to both domestic users and the utilities sector of the construction industry.
08 June 2015
Police Continue To Investigate Ballycastle Deaths
Police have ruled out carbon monoxide poisoning after a couple were found dead at a property in Ballycastle on Thursday. Kenneth Boughey, 68, and Rita Boughey, 79, were discovered at their home in the Abbey area at approximately 8.30pm. Chief Inspector Mark McClarence from the PSNI said the investigation is "continuing".
05 June 2015
Ballycastle Deaths Being Treated As 'Unexplained'
The bodies of a man and a woman discovered in a house in Ballycastle, County Antrim, are being treated as "unexplained". Post mortem examinations are to be carried out on the bodies of Kenneth Boughey, 68, and Rita Boughey, 70. The couple were found dead in the Abbey area after 9pm on Thursday.