30/09/2013

Teenagers' Mothers Back CO Campaign

The mothers of two teenage boys who died from carbon monoxide poisoning in 2010 have endorsed a new campaign urging people to install alarms in their homes.

18-year-olds Aaron Davidson and Neil McFerran died in August 2010 at apartments in Castlerock, County L'Derry.

Now their mothers, Katrina Davidson and Catherine McFerran, are backing a campaign to raise awareness.

"Since our sons were cruelly taken from us by this silent killer, we have campaigned to try to prevent similar tragedies," they said.

"Carbon monoxide alarms are now compulsory for all new homes in Northern Ireland and when new appliances are installed in Scotland, but many people in older homes or in the rest of the UK may still be at risk.

"Make sure you and your loved ones are protected, make sure you have a working, audible carbon monoxide alarm in your home. It is not a risk worth taking."

Research released by the Carbon Monoxide - Be Alarmed! campaign found that over half the British population does not have carbon monoxide alarms fitted in the home.

Dr Rob Hicks, GP and medical commentator, said: "At high levels, carbon monoxide can kill you in a matter of minutes. At lower levels, it can cause a range of serious and long-term health problems.

"The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are very hard to recognise, even for doctors, as they are similar to many common illnesses like flu and food poisoning.

"This makes it very easy to miss the warning signs, with life-threatening consequences. Don't take the risk. Most people wouldn't dream of not having a smoke alarm - it should be the same with carbon monoxide alarms."

(IT)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

31 October 2012
Carbon Monoxide Alarms Now A Legal Requirement
Carbon monoxide alarms are now a legal requirement for all new homes in Northern Ireland. The law follows the deaths of two teenagers from carbon monoxide poising at a holiday home in County L’Derry in August 2010. 18-year-old Neil McFerran and Aaron Davidson died in an apartment near Coleraine.
18 October 2010
User Guide Recalls Gas Tragedy
A double tragedy in Co Londonderry last summer has been recalled with the launch of a new guide to raise awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning. NI's Chief Medical Officer Dr Michael McBride has commended the guide, Carbon Monoxide: Are You at Risk? to both domestic users and the utilities sector of the construction industry.
13 December 2010
Soccer World Supports Boiler Service Call
The soccer world has turned out to help kick-off warnings of a 'silent killer' message to NI's sports community and has backed the Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland's (HSENI) recently launched campaign to raise awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning. The hard-hitting campaign 'Watch Out.
08 June 2015
Police Continue To Investigate Ballycastle Deaths
Police have ruled out carbon monoxide poisoning after a couple were found dead at a property in Ballycastle on Thursday. Kenneth Boughey, 68, and Rita Boughey, 79, were discovered at their home in the Abbey area at approximately 8.30pm. Chief Inspector Mark McClarence from the PSNI said the investigation is "continuing".
05 June 2015
Ballycastle Deaths Being Treated As 'Unexplained'
The bodies of a man and a woman discovered in a house in Ballycastle, County Antrim, are being treated as "unexplained". Post mortem examinations are to be carried out on the bodies of Kenneth Boughey, 68, and Rita Boughey, 70. The couple were found dead in the Abbey area after 9pm on Thursday.