31/10/2017

Man Who Had Three Fingers Broken In Custody Was 'Accidental'

A man who sustained three broken fingers in police custody was accidental, according to the Police Ombudsman.

Dr Michael Maguire concluded that custody staff used reasonable force when a man refused to return to his cell, and had not deliberately caused the man's injuries by closing the cell door on his hand.

However, he also criticised the attitude and language used by one of the two Civilian Detention Officers involved, who admitted swearing during an angry exchange with the detainee.

The incident happened at Strand Road Custody Suite in L'Derry in February last year. Dr Maguire called himself in to investigate and the man also later made a complaint.

Police Ombudsman investigators visited the custody suite, seized CCTV footage, photographed the scene and obtained relevant police documentation. They also interviewed the two members of police staff who had been involved.

CCTV showed that the incident began when the man – who had been detained for allegedly making threats to kill - asked to use the toilet, which was next door to his cell.

When he was let out of his cell he became involved in a verbal exchange with one of the detention officers, which continued as he was being returned to the cell.
News Image
Both he and the detention officer were verbally aggressive and used abusive language, and the man also directed racial abuse at the detention officer.

When the man was told to get back into his cell, he approached the detention officer with his finger pointed at him. Both detention officers then pushed the man back into the cell, and one slammed the door shut.

However, as the door closed, it trapped the man's left hand against the doorframe, causing him to scream out in pain.

He was taken to Altnagelvin Hospital, where it was confirmed that he had suffered fractures to his index, middle and ring fingers.

The officer who closed the door said he thought the man had been about to assault him. He denied that the injuries had been caused deliberately, but accepted that he had sworn during the incident.

A file was sent to the Public Prosecution Service, which directed that neither custody officer should be prosecuted.

The Police Ombudsman then considered whether any disciplinary action should be taken against the detention officers. He concluded that man's injuries had been caused accidentally, at a time when the officers were using reasonable force to get him back into the cell.

However, Dr Maguire found that the attitude and language used by one of the detention officers had not been appropriate. He made recommendations to the PSNI to take action in relation to this, and these have since been implemented.

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

26 November 2021
Other News In Brief
£650,000 Fund To Provide Food And Heating Vouchers Belfast City Council has backed a Sinn Féin proposal to provide £650,000 fund to provide food and heating vouchers to support thousands of families across the city.
25 November 2021
PSNI Officers And Staff Sign White Ribbon Pledge
The PSNI has signed the White Ribbon pledge, as part of an international campaign to end violence against women and girls. Police officers and police staff have signed the pledge on White Ribbon Day (25 November), which kick-starts 16 days of action to end violence against women and girls (VAWG).
05 November 2020
Man Arrested In L'Derry
A 20-year-old man has been arrested in L'Derry. Officers from the PSNI's Terrorism Investigation unit carried out a search at a property in connection with an ongoing on Wednesday, 04 November. A number of items were seized for further examination. The man was taken to be questioned, however he has now been released.
10 March 2020
Elderly Man Suffers Smoke Inhalation In Co Down Arson
A man aged in 90s was left in need of treatment for smoke inhalation after two arson attacks in Downpatrick. Police are probing a link between two deliberate ignitions in the Killough Walk and Vianstown Heights area of the town, less than a mile from each other, in the early hours of Tuesday morning.
15 August 2007
Man Shot In County Down
A 28-year-old man has been shot in the leg in a gun attack in County Down. The man was getting out of his car at the Quays in Killyleagh at about 1.00am on Wednesday morning when a man approached him and shot him. The man is recovering in hospital where his injuries are not thought to be life threatening.