15/07/2019

Threatening Graffiti 'Not The Responsibility' Of The PSNI

Police have said the removal of threatening graffiti related to those tasked with dismantling an east Belfast bonfire is the responsibility of the property owners.

It comes after Belfast City Council abandoned plans to demolish the construction on the site of Avoniel Leisure Centre when hired contractors pulled out of the job. Intimidating threats had earlier been daubed on walls close to the site, purporting to identify the contractors.

The PSNI has said removing the graffiti is not a function for the police.
News Image
Assistant Chief Constable Alan Todd said: "The Chief Constable is on record publicly stating that the intimidation of contractors and the impact this will have had on them and their families must not be tolerated. A thorough police investigation is now underway to identify those responsible and seek to bring them before the courts.

"The removal of graffiti is the responsibility of the property owner assisted by any other relevant agency. It is not a function for, or the responsibility of the police service.

"Officers are in ongoing liaison with the property owners and with Belfast City Council in an attempt to ensure the removal of the offending graffiti at the earliest opportunity.

"As a police service we have been clear in our position that we will support other agencies to carry out their statutory functions in the removal of this graffiti and we are ready to do so in order to address any community safety issues and to ensure that there is no breach of the peace."

PSNI Chief Constable Simon Byrne condemned the threats in a press conference last week, branding them "unacceptable" and a "form of bullying".



(JG)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

15 January 2020
Searches As ATM Thieves Chased Across Border
The PSNI is conducting searches after thieves travelling with an ATM stolen from Co Louth travelled across the border this morning. The culprits were intercepted on Dunleer Main Street at around 4.30am this morning, Wednesday 15 January, by patrolling members of the Garda Armed Support unit.
16 January 2020
L'Derry Assault Victim Urged To Come Forward
Police have appealed for a man who was set upon by a group of youths in L'Derry to come forward. The victim is urged to make himself known to police after he was assaulted in the Peace Gardens convenient to the city's Foyle Street. The incident occurred at around 9pm on Tuesday evening, 14 January.
20 January 2020
PSNI Deputy Chief Constable To Retire
A search for the new PSNI second-in-command will soon begin after Deputy Chief Constable Stephen Martin announced his retirement. Mr Martin informed the Policing Board of his decision on Monday 20 January after almost 34 years of service.
14 January 2020
Justice Minister Condemns West Belfast Shooting
Justice Minister Naomi Long has demanded an end to paramilitary style attacks in the wake of a shooting in west Belfast that left a man with life changing injuries. An incident in the Burnaby Walk area at around 6pm on Monday 13 January left a 39 year-old man with gunshot wounds to his knee and ankle.
14 January 2020
Man Shot In West Belfast
A man has been hospitalised following a shooting in west Belfast. The attack happened in the Burnaby Walk area at around 5.55pm on Monday afternoon, 13 January. The victim is receiving treatment for gunshot wounds to his knee and foot. Police have launched an appeal for information.