26/07/2021

'Teenagers Misusing Equipment' Blamed For Planet Fun Incident

Teenagers misusing equipment have been blamed for an incident at a funfair in Carrickfergus.

Six people, including three children, needed hospital treatment for injuries sustained on a swing ride at Planet Fun at around 18:00 on Saturday 24 July.

Emergency services were called to the scene and are said to have treated a number of people, with six being transferred to hospital for injuries to their legs and feet.

It is understood that shortly after the ride started people in swings collided with large metal signs and other swings.

The ride was closed and a full investigation is said to be underway, however it is understood that following a "preliminary investigation" by the Health & safety executive Planet Fun have been cleared to reopen.

Posting to their Facebook page, Planet Fun said: "It is confirmed the equipment has not got any mechanical defects.

"We will however be keeping the star flyer closed pending further safety checks and investigation.
News Image
"The incident ... was caused by misuse of equipment by the behaviour of several teenagers on the attraction and is to be further investigated by the PSNI.

"The swift actions by our staff to terminate the ride prevented further injuries.

"At this time we cannot comment any further on the incident but would extend our thoughts and best wishes to the people who were injured."

Commending the response of emergency services to the incident, Health Minister Robin Swann said: "Northern Ireland's blue light services have responded to an incident tonight at a funfair in Carrickfergus. It was reported that a ride at the funfair collapsed and there were several casualties. A number of people, including children, were taken to hospital and thankfully none have life threatening injuries.

"My thoughts are with all who have been injured and affected by this incident. I wish everyone a speedy recovery. I want to sincerely thank the ambulance, paramedics and fire crews that responded so rapidly to what could have been something more tragic."

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

07 September 2021
Further Easing Of Covid Rules In NI
Stormont ministers have agreed a number of further relaxations to the Covid-19 regulations in Northern Ireland. Following a meeting ministers agreed that in domestic settings the maximum number of people who can meet indoors will increase to 15 people from four households.
03 September 2021
Further Roll Out Of 20mph School Speed Limit Schemes
The second phase of the part-time 20mph speed limit schemes at 106 schools across Northern Ireland has been rolled out, Infrastructure Minister, Nichola Mallon has announced. This takes the total number of schools benefiting from this new road safety scheme introduced by Minister Mallon to 209.
27 August 2021
Over 12% Of NI's Young People Not In Education, Employment And Training
An estimated 24,000 16 to 24-year-olds are currently not in education, employment or training (NEET), according to the latest reports from the Northern Ireland Statistics & Research Agency (NISRA). This represents over 12% of NI's young person population, more than 3% higher that the UK average.
12 February 2014
H&S Review Into A&E Services At The Royal Hospital Is Not Sufficient - SDLP
SDLP Health Spokesperson Fearghal McKinney MLA has said a Health Service review into accident and emergency services at the Royal Hospital is not sufficient. His comments come after it was revealed that up to five people may have died as a result of accident and emergency pressure at the Royal last year.
22 June 2015
Man Assaulted In Belfast
A 20-year-old man has been attacked in Belfast. The incident happened in Tigers Bay at around 10.45pm on Friday. The man suffered head injuries, however his condition is not believed to be life threatening. He is believed to have been assaulted by six men.