29/10/2004

BELB chief executive suspended over budget debacle

The chief executive of the Belfast Education and Library Board (BELB) has been suspended following an overspend of nearly £5 million by the region's education department.

Following a four-hour meeting of the Board it was agreed that David Cargo should be suspended, however, the suspension was described as a "precautionary" measure which was not a "presumption of any guilt".

In a statement, released on Friday, the BELB said that the Board had become aware of the overspend in June and that it had been working since then to clarify the position and discuss a course of action to address the problem.

An "external and independent" review of the board's financial deficit has since been launched, the statement added.

Earlier in the week, Education Minister Barry Gardiner demanded swift action over the escalating crisis in funding within both the Belfast and South Eastern Education Boards after it emerged that the two boards had a combined overspend of around £11 million.

Speaking on Tuesday, Mr Gardiner told the chief executives of both boards that they bore personal responsibility for monitoring spending.

The South Eastern Education and Library Board, which currently has a deficit of £5.7 million, is to meet in the next two weeks to discuss its financial fall-out.

The Board has said that it could only save about £1 million without damaging the welfare of pupils, but it is understood to have now come up with a further list of cost-cutting measures which would save a further £5 million.

(MB/SP)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

16 September 2021
New Home Office Deportation Rules 'Inhumane'
Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey has said that she "will have no part in inhumane" new rules by the British Home Office targeting rough sleepers for deportation. The new measure allows the Home Office to deport homeless non-nationals on the grounds of rough sleeping, even if they have previously been granted permission to stay.
20 September 2021
Executive To Debate Change To NI Organ Donation Rules
The NI Executive is set to debate changing Northern Ireland's organ donations rules to an opt out system, which would mean people would automatically become donors unless they specifically opt out. Currently, NI is the only part of the UK still using an opt in system, and the DUP have previously blocked any attempt to change the system.
08 September 2021
Executive Agree To Resettle Fleeing Afghan Refugees
The Executive has agreed a number of measures to help vulnerable people fleeing Afghanistan and resettle in Northern Ireland. The First Minister and deputy First Minister are writing to PM Boris Johnson advising him of the Executive's commitment to assist with the humanitarian crisis by taking Afghan refugees arriving under resettlement schemes.
06 September 2021
Executive To Meet To Discuss NI's Next Steps Out Of Lockdown
The Storming Executive is expected to meet later today, 06 September, to discuss Northern Ireland’s next step out of lockdown. Restrictions are to be eased on indoor venues in the Republic of Ireland RoI) today with larger crowds permitted. Live music at weddings and pubs is also to return in the RoI from today.
08 January 2020
PSNI Chief Constable Issues Apology
The PSNI Chief Constable has apologised for posting a controversial tweet about the Crossmaglen community following a meeting with the SDLP. Simon Byrne tweeted that it was "great to meet the team policing Crossmaglen @PSNINMDOWN," adding: "I take my hat off to colleagues policing such a unique part of @PoliceServiceNI.