28/02/2006

Man found guilty of causing death by dangerous driving

A west Belfast man has been convicted of causing the deaths of two children by dangerous driving.

After 45 minutes deliberation the jury unanimously convicted 44-year-old Wayne Johnston, formerly from the Highfield estate, of two counts of causing death by dangerous driving at Belfast's Crown Court earlier today.

Johnston was accused of killing 11-year-old Christopher Shaw, and eight-year-old Emma Lynch, on the Springfield Road in December 2003. He was also found guilty of causing grievous bodily injury by dangerous driving to Christopher's older brother, Darren, then 13.

The children had been out walking their dog when Johnston lost control of his car, which mounted the pavement and knocked them down.

Outside the court, the mother of 11-year-old Christopher, said that both her family and the Lynch family had been given "a life sentence."

Witnesses at the trial said that they saw Johnston's car swerve into oncoming traffic, then onto the pavement before hitting the children.

His car was also reported to have uprooted a traffic light and dragged it along the road, before colliding with a parked vehicle.

During the trial, which lasted two-weeks, the defendant claimed to have suffered a "black-out" due to a coughing fit experienced after he lit a cigarette just prior to the crash.

The Judge, Mr Justice Morgan remanded Johnston in custody and adjourned sentencing until later next month pending pre-sentence probation reports.

(EF/SP)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

20 July 2006
Belfast man on remand following fatal collision
A Belfast man has been remanded in custody in connection with a car crash in which a 22-year-old man died. Mark John Page, of Joanmount Park in Belfast appeared in court today on charges of dangerous driving causing death, hijacking, and having an offensive weapon.
19 March 2020
Head Teachers Union Welcomes School Closures
The National Association of Head Teachers has welcomed the news that all schools in Northern Ireland will close from Friday.
13 April 2015
Man Charged Over Fatal Crash In Strabane
A man has been charged with causing death by dangerous driving following a collision in Strabane, County Tyrone. A man in his 40s died in the two vehicle crash which happened on the Melmount Road on Saturday at around 10pm. The man, 49, is currently being detained and questioned by police.
03 September 2003
Man charged with car deaths
A 32-year-old man has been charged with two counts of causing death by dangerous driving following the deaths of two teenagers in Co Antrim last week.
03 June 2015
18-Year-Old Arrested After Fatal Crash In L'Derry
A man has been arrested after two people died following a collision outside L'Derry. The two male victims, aged 19 and 21, where from the Donemana area near Strabane. The 18-year-old driver of the car has been released from hospital.