28/02/2007

Campaign marks anniversary of Lisa Dorrian disappearance

Detectives investigating the murder of Lisa Dorrian have joined with her family to mark the second anniversary of her disappearance by launching an advertising campaign to encourage the small group of people who know what happened to her to come forward with information.

The 25-year-old went missing in the early hours of 28 February 2005 from a caravan at Ballyhalbert. Despite extensive searches, arrests and inquiries, Lisa's body has not been recovered.

The advertising campaign is targeted in Bangor, Newtownards and Rathcoole - locations where detectives believe that individuals have information about what happened to Lisa. It will be concentrated on poster sites, bus shelters, phone boxes, buses and some entertainment venues.

Launching the campaign in Bangor today, the police officer in charge of the investigation, Detective Chief Inspector Sean Wright, said: "Two years on, this is still a live, active and ongoing investigation. The perpetrators may think they have evaded justice but this investigation will continue.“

So far in the investigation there have been 70 searches - 48 of houses or on land, six underwater and 16 using body recovery dogs. Six people have been arrested and 53 interviews of suspects conducted. 3,500 people have been spoken to, 2,800 lines of enquiry registered, 1,000 statements have been taken and there are 5,000 supporting documents.

Lisa's mother, Mrs Patricia Dorrian, said: "It is two years since we last saw our beautiful daughter Lisa. They have been two long and hard years, which have taken their toll on all our family. We were never given the chance to say goodbye to Lisa.”

Police believe Lisa's body was moved out to sea some months after she was murdered. They are looking to find new forensic opportunities, nationally and internationally, to progress the investigation. A number of scenes have been retained to allow every scientific and forensic opportunity to be exploited.

DCI Wright added: "I would also appeal to people in the sailing or boating community to come forward if they have any knowledge about a distinctive boat, a red Skeeter 550, and its movements over the last week in July and first week in August 2005.

People are asked to contact police on 0845 600 8000 or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

(JM/SP)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

23 September 2021
Appeal For Information On Shooting Incident In Banbridge
Banbridge PSNI have issued an appeal for information following a shooting incident. A man, aged in his 20s, suffered minor head wounds when a suspected shotgun was fired at a house on Railway Street, Banbridge at about 8.15pm on Wednesday 22 September. Police have said that two men and a woman were in the house at the time of the incident.
22 September 2021
Man Reported 'Carrying A Firearm' In The Holylands
A 19-year-old man has been arrested in connection with an incident involving a "suspected firearm" in the Holylands area of south Belfast. It had been reported to police that a man has been seen in the area of Fitzroy Avenue "carrying a firearm".
08 September 2021
US Legal Firm To Create Almost 80 New Jobs In Belfast
US legal firm Ogletree Deakins has announced that it is to establish a new legal support centre in Northern Ireland, creating almost 80 new jobs. The firm is one of the largest labour, employment and immigration law firms in the US, with 53 offices located throughout the US, and in Europe, Canada and Mexico.
28 February 2008
Three Years On, Missing Lisa's Family Seek Closure
Three years to the day since the disappearance of 25-year-old Bangor woman Lisa Dorrian, a senior police office has renewed appeals for information on the location of the girl's body, after her assumed murder.
05 January 2007
Burns pair released from hospital
Two men hospitalised with severe burns shortly after an arson attack in County Armagh in which two people died, have been released from hospital.