31/03/2008

Castlerock Blaze Man Dies

A man rescued from his blazing home in the early hours of Sunday, has since died from his

injuries.

The 48-year-old victim didn't recover after being rescued from the fire in the Altikeeragh Road

area of Castlerock shortly after 4am.

His tragic death was in spite of fire crews managing to bring the man out of the house.

Bill Wilsden from the Fire and Rescue Service said initial investigations suggested the fire

had started accidentally in the kitchen: "Teams with breathing apparatus went into the house

and proceeded to search for the man," he said.

"He was quickly located, brought outside and given first aid.

"He was suffering from smoke inhalation and was not breathing. He was taken to hospital where he later died.

"The greatest damage appears to have occurred in the kitchen area of the house, which would

suggest that the fire is accidental," he said.

(BMcC)


Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

09 September 2019
Explosive Device Planted In Strabane
A man has been arrested after an improvised explosive device was discovered in Strabane on Saturday morning, 07 September. A police operation was established in the Church View area after the viable mortar type device was found close to a number of houses at around 8.30am. ATO secured the object before it was removed for further examination.
17 July 2001
ASSEMBLY CREATE AWARD TO HONOUR FIRE SERVICE
THE Northern Ireland Fire Service is to receive the first ever award given by the province's devolved assembly. An illuminated scroll is to be presented to Chief Fire Officer John McClelland on Tuesday, by assembly speaker Lord Alderdice in tribute to the sacrifice made by fire fighters over the years.
02 September 2013
Man Rescued From House Fire
A man has been rescued from a house fire in north Belfast. The fire started at approximately 7.15am on Monday from a cooking pot that was left unattended in a house in the Malvern Close area of the Shankill. Three fire engines attend the scene. The man was taken to hospital where he was treated for smoke inhalation.
17 June 2005
Man rescued from house fire in Derry
A man in his 20’s is recovering in hospital after being rescued from a house fire in Londonderry. Firefighters were called to the house off Shearwater Way in the Waterside area of the city by a neighbour who was alerted by a smoke alarm in the early hours of Friday morning.
20 October 2003
Rescued man arrested following house fire
A man has been arrested after being rescued from a burning house in north Belfast last night. The man assaulted police officers after being rescued from the fire in the Manor Street area at around 11pm on Sunday. It is believed he set the house on fire after becoming embroiled in a row during a house party at the same address.