24/10/2008

Raymond Junior Murder Report Highlighted

One of the most controversial killings to have taken place in Northern Ireland is again in the spotlight today with news that the Northern Ireland Policing Board wants to see a report on progress made to date in assuring a more appropriate policing response in future being published.

The Board has considered a report from the Board's Human Rights Advisor on the progress of the PSNI with the implementation of recommendations made by the Police Ombudsman for Northern Ireland in the 'Operation Ballast' Report.

It examined the events surrounding the death of Raymond McCord Junior, who was murdered by the UVF and involved alleged police Special Branch protection of an agent who was both a police informer and was said to be involved in the brutal killing as well.

They have now agreed that the report should be published.

Speaking about the report, Chairman of the Board Professor Sir Desmond Rea, said: "At the October Board meeting, members considered the latest report from the Board's Human Rights Advisor on the implementation of the Ombudsman's 17 recommendations relating to the PSNI.
News Image
"The Board agreed the report should be published to provide public assurance that the issues raised are being taken forward and addressed," he said, noting that already 13 of the 17 'Operation Ballast' report recommendations have been implemented in full and the remaining four recommendations (1, 2, 3 and 5) have been implemented in part.

He said that member's noted that in the six months since the last report a further three recommendations have been verified as complete.

"A report on the status of the remaining recommendations will be considered by the Board in six months time," he said.

The Office of the Police Ombudsman had originally received a complaint from Raymond McCord Senior in May 2002.

This alleged police misconduct regarding the circumstances surrounding the investigation into the murder of his son. The Report was published on 22 January 2007 and contained 20 recommendations.

Recommendation 20 stated that the "the Northern Ireland Policing board should establish a mechanism to review the PSNI response to the recommendations made in this Report within a period of six months and at appropriate intervals thereafter' and following a special meeting in January last year, the Board agreed to monitor the implementation of the recommendations which fall within the remit of the PSNI.

See: McCord Killers Taken To Book

(BMcC)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

05 September 2006
Policing Board Human Rights report published
The Northern Ireland Policing Board has today published its second annual report on how the PSNI is meeting its responsibilities under the Human Rights Act 1998. The report also reveals that nearly two thirds of the recommendations made in the Policing Board’s Human Rights Annual Report 2005 had been fully implemented.
22 January 2007
Policing Board calls special meeting over 'shocking' report
The Northern Ireland Policing Board has today received the Police Ombudsman’s report on the investigation into matters surrounding the death of Raymond McCord Junior.
20 March 2020
Shots Fired At Houses In Co Antrim
Police have said it is by "sheer luck" that no one was injured when shots were fired at two properties in Co Antrim last night. A lone gunman targeted the houses in Rasharkin's Moneyleck Park at around 9.50pm on Thursday night, 19 March.
11 March 2020
Man Arrested Over INLA Drug Activity
Detectives investigating drug activities within the INLA paramilitary group have made an arrest. The 33 year-old suspect was detained following a search in west Belfast on Tuesday evening, 10 March, during which a quantity of class B and C drugs were seized. A substantial sum of money and the drug pregabalin were also discovered.
11 March 2020
Police Renew Appeal Over Co Tyrone Stabbing
Police have renewed their appeal for information in connection with a stabbing in Moy, Co Tyrone. The incident occurred in the early hours of Sunday 01 March in The Square area of the town. Three men and a woman were attacked as they left a bar at around 1.20am. One of the men, aged 31, suffered a serious stab wound to his abdomen.