27/05/2009

Rethink Loyalist Parade, Says Bishop

With ten people - including a 15-year-old youth - still being questioned over the brutal murder of Kevin McDaid in Coleraine, there has been a call to put off a planned loyalist parade.

While some 2,000 people are expecting to take part in the Pride of the Bann parade at the weekend, the Church of Ireland Bishop of Derry and Raphoe Ken Good (pictured) said organisers should consider postponing it.

"In these matters, it is not good for these groups to feel pressurised or forced by me or by anybody else but I want them to use their discretion, I want them to be careful," he said.

"I want them to show leadership and I want them to show imagination."

If it goes ahead, it will pass close to the spot where the Catholic man was murdered.

However, things may be taken out of their hands as the Parades Commission is said to be reviewing its previous decision to permit Friday's march.
News Image
The senior cleric was speaking soon after two other men who had been questioned were released without charge and the PSNI Chief Constable has asked the Police Ombudsman to investigate claims that his officers did not intervene during the fatal attack.

Yesterday, Assistant Chief Constable Alistair Finlay defended the police's handling of the incident and also denied a claim by Mr McDaid's family that officers stood by while he was being attacked.

"This is not something that we're aware of, but if anybody has any information on that we would ask them to contact us and share that information with us," Mr Finlay said.

"Police arrived very quickly after the initial phone calls, and there were up to 60 people engaged in hand-to-hand fighting.

"Two neighbourhood police officers moved to make an initial arrest of one of the main aggressors, but such was the hostility of the crowd that they had to withdraw and move to rendering first aid.

"They were joined very quickly by a second two officers, who immediately rendered first aid on Mr McDaid, including CPR, in an attempt to save his life."

Mr McDaid's wife, Evelyn, was also beaten as she tried to go to her husband's aid.

See: Youth Arrested Over Coleraine Murder

(BMcC/JM)

Related Northern Ireland News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

11 September 2019
Man Charged Over City Centre Stabbing
A man in his twenties has been charged with attempted murder following a stabbing at an office building in Belfast City Centre on Tuesday. The incident occurred at around 2pm in the Scottish Provident Buildings in Donegall Square West, adjacent to City Hall.
13 September 2019
Suspect Due In Court Over Car-Bomb Murder Bid
A 38-year-old man is due in court for a number of offences, including attempted murder, after an under car-bomb was planted in a ploy to kill a serving PSNI officer. The suspect was detained in Belleek, Co Fermanagh on Wednesday morning, 11 September.
13 September 2019
New Footage Released In Malcolm McKeown Murder Probe
Detectives investigating the shooting of Malcolm McKeown in Co Down last month have released new CCTV footage of events at the filling station where he was murdered. The father of three was struck down outside Dewarts Garage in Waringstown on the evening of Monday 19 August.
08 March 2019
25 Year Sentence For Man Who Attempted To Murder Police
A man guilty of attempting to murder police officers has been jailed for 25 years. The PSNI welcomed the sentencing of Sean McVeigh, 38, after he was convicted of planting a bomb under a police officer's car.
12 June 2018
Police Officer Cleared After Man Complained Of 'Oppressive Behaviour'
A police officer has been cleared after a man complained of his "oppressive behaviour" towards him as he attempted to collect his son from a concert in south Belfast.