Warning Released Over Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service has released a warning following the news that a family has been taken to hospital over suspected carbon monoxide poisoning on a boat on Windermere.

A woman and her two children were taken to Royal Lancaster Infirmary after becoming unwell on a friend's boat. They were later released.

It is thought the incident occurred as a result of the engine having been left running while the canopy was closed.

The news comes one week after another mother and her daughter died on a boat in Windermere, from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.

Kelly Webster, 36, and Lauren Thornton, 10, from Leyland, Lancashire, died on 1 April.

Ms Webster's partner, 39-year-old Matthew Eteson, from Leyland, was taken to hospital but later released.

Mark Roach, from Cumbria Fire & Rescue Service, said: "Please remember carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas given off by all appliances burning fossil fuels such as gas, coal, wood or oil, if they're not working properly or in an enclosed space.

"Incidents can prove fatal and even low levels can cause lasting damage to your health.

"Carbon monoxide has no taste, smell or colour. We strongly recommend that you fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm in your home and take one on holiday."


Related UK National News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

06 July 2012
Inquest Hears Of Six-Year-Olds Tragic Tent Death
An inquest has heard how a 6-year-old died from inhalation of carbon monoxide fumes from a barbecue her parents had brought into their tent to keep her warm. Paramedics were called to Holmsley campsite at Bransgore in the New Forest, Hampshire, early on 6 April when Isabelle Harris’s parents found her "unresponsive".
16 January 2008
Warning Follows Gas Installer's Jail Sentence
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has issued a warning to the public to only allow qualified 'CORGI' registered gas installers to work on their appliances. The call was made shortly after the inquest into the tragic death of a baby killed by scalding water from a faulty council boiler ruled that the death was 'avoidable'.
03 November 2006
Six charged over Corfu child deaths
Six people have been charged with manslaughter over the deaths of two children from carbon monoxide poisoning in Corfu. Court officials said that the hotel director, general manager, maintenance manager, air conditioning installation manager and a maintenance employee have been charged.
14 March 2006
Man in court over blast deaths
A man has appeared in court charged with murder and arson, following an explosion at a house in Staffordshire which killed four people. Mark Goldstraw (31) from Leek was remanded in custody after being charged with four counts of murder and one charge of arson. A man and three children died in the fire at the house in Cheddleton last Thursday.
04 January 2006
Anger as one survives US mine disaster
Relatives of US miners, who were trapped in a West Virginia coal mine, have expressed anger after it emerged all but one man had died.