Other News In Brief

Five In Hospital After Carbon Monoxide Leak At Flats

Five people, including two children, are being treated in hospital following a carbon monoxide leak at a block of flats on Kingsland Road in Dalston.

Firefighter wearing breathing apparatus evacuated 21 residents from the building at about 23:00 on Tuesday night. Two pregnant women, two children and a man were taken to hospital after ambulance crews found them to have elevated carbon monoxide readings.

Following the incident, London Fire Brigade has urged people to make sure they have a working carbon monoxide detector in their home.

Shoreditch Watch Manager Mark Lanaway who was at the scene said: "Carbon monoxide is a silent killer, with least 50 deaths nationally recorded every year as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning.

"Despite this, the majority of people still do not have a carbon monoxide detector in their home. It is vital that everyone has a carbon monoxide alarm in addition to smoke alarms."

Northumberland Police Appeal For Help To Trace 63-Year-Old

Northumberland Police have appealed for help in tracing 63-year-old Lloyd Neal, who has been missing since 10am on Tuesday, 29 September.

Mr Neal, from Morpeth, is described as a white man, 6ft tall, of medium build with short grey hair and a goattee style beard. He was last seen wearing a red jacket, dark grey trousers and walking boots.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Northumbria Police on 101 ext 69191 quoting log number 0523 29/09/15  or ring the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Tyson Fury Considers Standing For Election

Heavyweight boxer Tyson Fury has revealed his plans to be the next MP for Morecambe and Lunesdale.

Speaking to the BBC Mr Fury hopes to replace Conservative David Morris, and said he wants to "make a change for the better for the place I live".

He added: "I believe that I will succeed because of the influence I have over the people from the town."


Related UK National News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

08 April 2013
Warning Released Over Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service has released a warning following the news that a family has been taken to hospital over suspected carbon monoxide poisoning on a boat on Windermere. A woman and her two children were taken to Royal Lancaster Infirmary after becoming unwell on a friend's boat. They were later released.
06 July 2012
Inquest Hears Of Six-Year-Olds Tragic Tent Death
An inquest has heard how a 6-year-old died from inhalation of carbon monoxide fumes from a barbecue her parents had brought into their tent to keep her warm. Paramedics were called to Holmsley campsite at Bransgore in the New Forest, Hampshire, early on 6 April when Isabelle Harris’s parents found her "unresponsive".
16 January 2008
Warning Follows Gas Installer's Jail Sentence
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has issued a warning to the public to only allow qualified 'CORGI' registered gas installers to work on their appliances. The call was made shortly after the inquest into the tragic death of a baby killed by scalding water from a faulty council boiler ruled that the death was 'avoidable'.
03 November 2006
Six charged over Corfu child deaths
Six people have been charged with manslaughter over the deaths of two children from carbon monoxide poisoning in Corfu. Court officials said that the hotel director, general manager, maintenance manager, air conditioning installation manager and a maintenance employee have been charged.
14 March 2006
Man in court over blast deaths
A man has appeared in court charged with murder and arson, following an explosion at a house in Staffordshire which killed four people. Mark Goldstraw (31) from Leek was remanded in custody after being charged with four counts of murder and one charge of arson. A man and three children died in the fire at the house in Cheddleton last Thursday.