Britons reported missing in Indonesia quake

Around 10 Britons have been reported as missing in the earthquake, which hit Indonesia on Monday, the Foreign Office has stated.

The Foreign Office said that they were investigating the reports, but stressed that the people involved may not have been caught up in the quake.

The 8.7 magnitude earthquake struck the island of Nias off the western coast of Sumatra in Indonesia on Monday. It is estimated that at least 1,000 people have been killed in the disaster, although Indonesia's vice president, Yusef Kalla, expressed fears that the death toll could rise to 2,000.

Nias has reportedly suffered massive devastation caused by Monday's earthquake. It has been reported that over 80% of the buildings on the island had been destroyed or rendered uninhabitable. Some reports have also indicated that as many as 20,000 people have been left homeless as a result of the disaster, with 5,000 of those people reported in Gunungsitoli, the island's capital, alone.

A number of aid agencies are already organising help for the stricken island. It has been reported that specialist disaster teams from the United Nations have arrived in Nias and Simeulue, south of Sumatra, where almost half of the buildings are reportedly damaged. The UN teams will be expected to conduct an initial humanitarian assessment and help co-ordinate relief efforts.

Oxfam has also announced plans to provide supplies, including water tanks, tap stands, 4,000 jerry cans, chlorine for water purification, tents, torches, and cooking utensils. Oxfam staff working in Gunungsitoli have said that the town's water supplies had failed as a result of the earthquake. They also said that the electricity grid had collapsed and that the pumps that operated the water system were no longer working. The Oxfam workers said that this had left around 20,000 people without water.

Oxfam also reported that roads had collapsed and said that were reports of food shortages.

The Foreign Office has warned any British travellers in the affected areas to stay alert, monitor the media and promptly take any precautions recommended by the local authorities or other reliable local sources. Travellers who are intending to travel to the region are advised to check with their travel agents or tour operators before beginning any journeys.


Related UK National News Stories
Click here for the latest headlines.

02 August 2013
Post-Mortem On UEA Lake Body 'Inconclusive'
Police in East Anglia have said that results from a post-mortem on the body of woman found floating in a university lake are "inconclusive". An angler reported the body on Thursday morning, and the police have been unable to identify the victim. All students, staff and visitors of the University of East Anglia (UEA) have been accounted for.
08 March 2013
Unsuccessful Vocational Courses To Be Axed
Thousands of vocational courses which do not on their own lead to jobs, further study or university could be dropped from college and school sixth-form performance tables as part of reforms to raise education standards, Skills Minister Matthew Hancock said.
22 February 2005
Hundreds reported dead in Iran earthquake
An earthquake in Iran is reported to have killed at least 400 people and left hundreds more injured. The earthquake occurred around 35 miles from Zarand in the country's Kerman province, around 460 miles from the Iranian capital, Tehran just before 6am local time this morning (2:30am GMT). It measured 6.4 on the Richter scale.
26 July 2007
Two people die in flooding accident
Two men have died as they attempted to clear flood water from a flooded rugby club in Gloucestershire. It is thought that the two men, reported to be a father and son, were using a petrol-powered pump to clear water from the cellar of Tewkesbury Rugby Club and may have been overcome by petrol fumes.
20 March 2015
Police Find Woman And Children In Refrigerated Lorry
Police in Bristol have discovered a woman and two children in the back of a refrigerated lorry. Avon and Somerset Police said the driver of the lorry reported hearing voices from inside the lorry. Police believe the woman and children were in the back of the lorry for two days before being discovered.